Lens question!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Kaleighx, Sep 19, 2008.

1. Kaleighx

Kaleighx TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So i just bought my first camera! ( i <3 adorama! ) and i never truly realized how much lenses were! (I knew they were.. but wow)

I bought a canon and i was wondering if there was some converter that i could use to interchange other brand lenses or anything like that to get a better deal on lenses...and if there is a converter what is there to look out for when im looking/searching?

2. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    you can buy third party lenses, for example, sigma, tokina, tamron, etc. Just make sure they have the correct canon mount. Sigma et al make some very nice lenses, but rest assured you will pay a premium for quality glass regardless of the brand especially if you are buying "fast" glass, that is, a lens a with a very wide aperture of f/2.8 or greater.

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Don't forget used. I buy a lot of used glass, and as long as your careful and check it over well in advance, you wil be fine. Third party as Johnboy mentioned is a good option, but just remember, the lens is FAR MORE IMPORTANT than the camera (or anything else) in the photographic process, so don't buy cheap. There are lots of 'off brands' which make say, f4 70-300mm zooms for <$100. Remember, you get what you pay for. If you can't afford to buy a decent (not necessarily top of the line) right now, wait, rather than buying cheapo glass. The other thing to remember is that while you'll change camera bodies, a good lens will last you a lifetime.