Lens question :)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by JeffieLove, Feb 19, 2010.

1. JeffieLove

JeffieLove TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Are you all tired of me yet??

I just have an easy question...

I just purchased a Canon XSi body... My mom will be giving me her 18-55 kit lens when she gets her 18-200 tamron... So, my question is...

I found these two "items" on amazon and was wondering if one makes more sense than the other...

My original plan was to have my mom's 18-55 kit lens, a 55-200 lens, and a 50 f/1.8 lens... So that is what I was getting ready to put in my cart (the prime and 55-200 lenses) when I decided to throw out another search... So I found this... [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Tamron-Twin-Zoom-Kit-Aspherical/dp/B000EXR0TM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&m=A3G19UOFL4CE7M&s=electronics&qid=1266592195&sr=1-2]Amazon.com: Tamron Twin Zoom Kit 2: AF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Lens and AF 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 DI-II LD Macro Lens for Canon Digital SLR Cameras: Big VALUE Inc[/ame]

Does it make more sense to get those two lenses and the 50mm, and have my mom's kit lens?

Or will the kit lens + 50mm + 55-250mm make more sense?

It's only a $40 price difference to get the 2 lenses instead of just the one 55-200mm lens... That's why I am asking :)

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know that either choice is all that better or worse than the other.

3. Soocom1

Soocom1 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The thing to remember here is dont get caught up in chasing the "best" lens kit. There really is no such thing, unless you plop down $30,000 and buy two of every Canon lens from thier various lines. Seriously, chasing the lens system is aggravating. In this case, go with what you can afford and what you feel comfortable with.

4. JeffieLove

JeffieLove TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I think what I was really getting at was the range of the lenses... Here are my options for what I would end up with...

Original plan: Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS + Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II + Tamron AF 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 Di-II LD Macro ...

Other option: Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS + Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II + Tamron AF 28-80mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Lens + Tamron AF 55-200mm f/4.0-5.6 Di-II LD Macro

Those are the lens set options... There's a $40 difference between them so it's nothing major... That's why I'm curious what you all think is a better set?

5. bazooka

bazooka No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    According to your most recent post, you're basically adding a lens for $40 while leaving the other 3 the same. If that's the case, that's a good deal... even if it's a crap lens, you can resell it for more than that.

I realize you're on a budget, but have you read the reviews for these lenses? Just make sure you understand the quality differences before you buy.

6. JeffieLove

JeffieLove TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm kind doing it the easy way (I think I will probably check out some reviews though as well) and I have heard that Tamron and Manufacturer brands are generally good to stick with...

7. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

My opinion is .... just use the 18-55mm kit lens first. Learn more about camera equipment and photography and then buy more lenses later.

After you know more ... your lens purchase criteria may change.

8. JeffieLove

JeffieLove TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    That is another thing I have considered... I want to be able to shoot fireworks on the 4th...

Will the 18-55mm be okay for that?

9. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My opinion is to say screw the kit lens, and practice with the 50mm. But, I just hate zooms that's all.

10. JeffieLove

JeffieLove TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I am getting the 50 no matter what - it will be used for my son's birthday party on/around the 22nd of March :)

11. Dao

Dao No longer a newbie, moving up!

OF course, it depends on the situation and where you are. But in general, kit lens should be fine for fireworks.

You may want to get a tripod if you don't have one and a remote shutter is helpful too for fireworks.

12. Jaybud

Jaybud TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you're doing fireworks a zoom would be HANDY. But a good prime lens like the 50mm 1.8 attached to your camera for the whole evening, coupled with a tripod and a remote shutter release should be all you NEED (maybe an external flash for shots of people). The 50 gives you more flexibility for low light shots of friends and family than either of those kit lenses will give you. And I also have to agree with DScience. Use the prime to practice for awhile then move on to the zooms.