Lens Question...

I think this overall discussion might be why I asked the so called "dumbest question of the day". A friend of mine is using a much better camera body (I don't know which model exactly) but when I look at some of his shots that he took with his 200mm L series they look much closer at 200mm then some of mine do with my rebel at 250mm.

Oh and gsgary...go **** yourself! I don't care if I get booted of the forum. Im asking a question in the beginners area. I don't have the vast knowledge of photography such as a dip-**** like yourself.

Sorry to have offended anyone here...

Can't wait to rip your shots apart :lol:

It makes no difference to me because i wouldn't put an EF-s lens on my camera
Congratulations. Good for you.

Takes a big man to come into a beginner forum and insult people for asking questions.

I think the question about cost vs performance has been answered. By and large, it is the old saying.... you get what you pay for.

As far as the thread has devolved to the crop factor vs focal length, again, answered by Big Mike and Dwig. There was yet another thread recently about this, so I took a couple of sample shots to help visualize what the chatter was about.

Notice how much wider the Field of View is with a 50mm lens from a cropped body (D300) to a full frame body (D700). Then notice how similar the Field of View is with the 50mm lens on the cropped body and an 85mm lens on a full frame body. The focal length is constant, but the Field of View varies.

I think this overall discussion might be why I asked the so called "dumbest question of the day". A friend of mine is using a much better camera body (I don't know which model exactly) but when I look at some of his shots that he took with his 200mm L series they look much closer at 200mm then some of mine do with my rebel at 250mm.

Oh and gsgary...go **** yourself! I don't care if I get booted of the forum. Im asking a question in the beginners area. I don't have the vast knowledge of photography such as a dip-**** like yourself.

Feel free too. I actually regret the comments I made towards you earlier. I realized, I only brought myself down to your level. Getting my pics torn apart by a goof ball from across the pond won't make me loose any sleep!

Feel free too. I actually regret the comments I made towards you earlier. I realized, I only brought myself down to your level. Getting my pics torn apart by a goof ball from across the pond won't make me loose any sleep!

I don't play golf, looks like you have had a sense of humour by pass :lol:

It's so sad when guys like gsgary hang around the beginner's section and try to put down noobs like spag. Here's a tip spag, when a guy like mike with a tag that says "site moderator" gives you a tip, it's a good bet that he knows what he's talking about.

And comments coming from a noob like me are ok to disregard ;)

It's so sad when guys like gsgary hang around the beginner's section and try to put down noobs like spag. Here's a tip spag, when a guy like mike with a tag that says "site moderator" gives you a tip, it's a good bet that he knows what he's talking about.

No offence, but who are you again? Ah, ok, 4 posts and joined March 2010. You should probably be careful about commenting about established members of the community.

gsgary can be pretty rude, but most of the time he gives good advice. He's abrasive, but I'm guessing he's lost his patience with the same questions being asked literally once every week. Do I agree with how he acted here, no, not really. Was I thinking pretty much exactly what he posted? Yep, pretty much. This subject has been beat to death so many times here that it's pretty understandable for people to get a little jaded and make comments like that. The search function and/or Google are amazing tools and will net you some amazing results without going through the crap this thread has produced.

gsgary can be pretty rude, but most of the time he gives good advice. He's abrasive, but I'm guessing he's lost his patience with the same questions being asked literally once every week. Do I agree with how he acted here, no, not really. Was I thinking pretty much exactly what he posted? Yep, pretty much. This subject has been beat to death so many times here that it's pretty understandable for people to get a little jaded and make comments like that. The search function and/or Google are amazing tools and will net you some amazing results without going through the crap this thread has produced.
Let's face it: internet bulletin boards from an objective knowledge standpoint are worthless; I could find all the factual information in the world just using Google. People come to forums because they have questions and they want them answered in a succint way. This is a beginner forum. The same questions are going to get asked over and over. It's the nature of the beast, whether you're talking about a photography forum, a guitar forum, an electronics forum, etc.

I would posit that this thread wouldn't have produced any "crap" whatsoever if it wasn't for gary's attitude. Did I post wrong information? Yes. The reason it was wrong is because crop factor isn't intuitive for someone without dSLR experience to understand and it's information that's easily misinterpreted, and that's after reading about it and talking to other shooters about it. Hence why it's "beat to death" and is often posted incorrectly about. But, upon being explained why my impression about it was wrong, I admitted my mistake and moved on. No matter how many posts he has, philaw is correct: if you don't have the patience to deal with beginners asking questions you consider stupid, you shouldn't be posting in the beginner section of a forum.

....I could find all the factual information in the world just using Google. People come to forums because they have questions and they want them answered in a succint way.....
Many people just skip the "find all the factual information in the world just using Google" part with the understanding others have already done that research.

Unfortunately, they miss the ancillary, related tidbits of information and unthought of new avenues of research one runs across during a thourough Internet search.

The other problem, which you provided a perfect example of, is forum members who provide incorrect information which negates anything being succinct for the noobie, particularly if they skipped the "find all the factual information in the world just using Google" step in their quest for expediency.

Last edited:
^ All good and valid points.

No offence, but who are you again? Ah, ok, 4 posts and joined March 2010. You should probably be careful about commenting about established members of the community.
I don't give credence to any member with less than 1000 posts. :roll:

Something tells me this isn't the first time around the block for philaw123.

I don't give credence to any member with less than 1000 posts. :roll:

Something tells me this isn't the first time around the block for philaw123.

Yes, because post count matters. :er:

I'm guessing your coment was tounge in cheek, I can't tell. My comment was less about post count, and more on the fact that he's a new member, with less than 11 days with a community in which he has no idea about anybody here. He makes a comment about someone based on one thread he has read. Do I like gsgary's style? No. Does he pick on people who decide that it's easier to ask a forum than to do any research themselves? Yes. Does he give good information and help people who actually need it, and aren't just lazy? YES.

What would give you the indication that it isn't "...the first time around the block for philaw123."? Because nothing in any of his posts relates to that, and it certainly doesn't show through on his post in this thread. The ONLY thing to go off of is his join date. Now, if you're privy to information I don't have about him that proves me wrong, I'd LOVE to see it. If you don't, then it's probably not a good idea to make assumptions you can't back up.

I would posit that this thread wouldn't have produced any "crap" whatsoever if it wasn't for gary's attitude. Did I post wrong information? Yes.

Um, I would posit that if you hadn't posted wrong information in the first place, we wouldn't have had the crap that this thread produced. I know he wasn't responding to you, but I find it likely that had correct information been posted in the first place, he would have ignored anything afterwards.

I could find all the factual information in the world just using Google. People come to forums because they have questions and they want them answered in a succint way.

This, and the fact that you posted incorrect information shows exactly why it's NOT a good idea to make forums your first stop. Had you actually done your research (using Google, or whatever) you wouldn't have posted incorrect info. Because you posted incorrect info, the beginner OP got two very different pieces of information that did nothing but possibly confuse. This lead to 3 or 4 more posts that tried to clear up your incorrect information. This included an additional post by you trying to prove your incorrect position. You even included sources to do that, which to a beginner might just increase the credibility of what you were talking about. (Incidentally, your sources actually proved your information to be incorrect, but I digress.)

I think we can all agree that this is a beginners forum. The thing to remember is, even though there are some vets that lurk around her, the vast majority of people here are beginners. That means this may not be the best pool of people to ask questions to. I don't mind helping people out. But (and this goes for EVERY forum I've ever been apart of) posting basic questions that can be easily answered by a quick google search is NOT the way to get information. The veterans get annoyed with it, and we run into the whole incorrect info problem I mentioned earlier. Remember, this is a beginners forum, so there will be a lot of beginners who think they have the answer to a question, when they don't.

PJL said:
I could find all the factual information in the world just using Google. People come to forums because they have questions and they want them answered in a succint way.

This, and the fact that you posted incorrect information shows exactly why it's NOT a good idea to make forums your first stop. Had you actually done your research (using Google, or whatever) you wouldn't have posted incorrect info.
Actually, you're quite wrong. I did look it up before I posted it, but was misinterpreting the material I was reading. I shoot 35mm cameras, so this "sensor" thing was confusing to me. Reading on the subject of digital, I came across the topic of crop factor when you use an EF lens on a small sensor body. I didn't just pull what I said out of a random orifice; it was an honest mistake made by misinterpreting research.
Because you posted incorrect info, the beginner OP got two very different pieces of information that did nothing but possibly confuse. This lead to 3 or 4 more posts that tried to clear up your incorrect information. This included an additional post by you trying to prove your incorrect position. You even included sources to do that, which to a beginner might just increase the credibility of what you were talking about. (Incidentally, your sources actually proved your information to be incorrect, but I digress.)
My mistake was quickly corrected, so the collateral damage was 0, unless he is misguided enough to follow information that (1) I admitted was wrong, and (2) that several posters explained to me was wrong. I'm sorry that I'm not more like you and have never made a good-faith mistake about anything in my entire life. But seriously, you should try to come across as more pious.
I think we can all agree that this is a beginners forum. The thing to remember is, even though there are some vets that lurk around her, the vast majority of people here are beginners. That means this may not be the best pool of people to ask questions to. I don't mind helping people out. But (and this goes for EVERY forum I've ever been apart of) posting basic questions that can be easily answered by a quick google search is NOT the way to get information. The veterans get annoyed with it, and we run into the whole incorrect info problem I mentioned earlier. Remember, this is a beginners forum, so there will be a lot of beginners who think they have the answer to a question, when they don't.
So that justifies an experienced member degrading a new member? I'm not quite seeing your rationale here. Yes, new people will make mistakes. The way to deal with that is "you're wrong because of X, Y, and Z," not "your questions/statements are stupid." Even if you're experienced in something that doesn't make you a good teacher.

Thank's :blushing: i will put him on my not to help list :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back