LENS question

asr84

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I need to ask some questions that may seem noobish, sry. I've browsed around older threads but can't get a clear picture. I own a Nikon D50 and I want to buy a 70-300 mm but before buying I would like to know:

1. Does the max/min shutter speed depend on the lens model?

2. Are all lenses (e.g. those from the 90s) compatible with digital functions?

3. Anyone got any recommendations for a lens? If I would like to take photos of sports and animals (in the 50-300mm range).

Thanks in advance for you time! :mrgreen:

1) shutter speed is a function of the camera, not the lens. The aperture however, is a lens function and will vary from lens to lens and will show an aperture range of something like f/1.4 - 32. I would imagine that a Nikon D50 would have a shutter speed range of probably bulb-1/4000 or maybe 1/8000.

2) I'm not sure what you mean about compatible with digital functions? An older lens will 'work' assuming it has the same mount as your camera body. With a digital camera however, a lens will have a different crop factor unless the camera has a full size sensor. I would guess the crop factor of a D50 is probably 1.5 or 1.6, so if you have a 70-200 lens it will appear to be more in the range of 105mm - 300mm. Google crop factor. Otherwise it will function as any other lens again assuming the mount is compatible w/ your cam.

3) get the best piece of glass you can afford. With a range like 50-300, you are going to have to spend several dollars to get something decent. You might want to consider a couple of prime lenses instead like 300mm lens and a 100mm lens. I would think a 50-300 lens with a nice fast aperture of 2.8 or better is going to cost you in the $1000+ range. You might also consider makers such as Sigma or Tamron for a similar model but considerably cheaper. Look only at their higher end models though like the EX models of Sigma and I'm not sure what the high end Tamron line is.

1. Does the max/min shutter speed depend on the lens model?
Yes and no. The aperture is part of the lens, the shutter is in the camera...however, a bigger aperture in the lens, will allow the camera to use a faster shutter speed.

2. Are all lenses (e.g. those from the 90s) compatible with digital functions?
What digital functions are you referring to? Shutter speed and aperture are what matters...and those have not changed in 100 years. I believe that Nikon lenses from the 90s are compatible with the D50...and it's photography functions.

3. Anyone got any recommendations for a lens? If I would like to take photos of sports and animals (in the 50-300mm range).
What's your budget?...and your expectations? All the 70-300 lenses that I have seen, have a rather small maximum aperture...which doesn't make them very good for sports unless the light is very good. However, they are the most affordable telephoto lenses.

The telephoto lenses that are best for sports/animals/action...are really expensive, so without a budget we can't make a good recommendation.

Thax a lot for feedback Johnboy2978, Big Mike.
Questions 1 and 2 are answered.
My budget is pretty low, I can afford to spend around 300 US dollars average which reduces my options a lot. I'm going to this store where they sell second hand lenses, so I chop a couple of hundreds from the price of a new one.
Could you trust a second hand lens?
I'm considering this one: Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6G AF Nikkor SLR Camera Lens
(aperture value doesn't convince me though)
I checked out a 50-200mm with f2.8 and it costs 1000 dollars more, pretty big leap if you ask me lol. So I guess I'll have to be at peace with anything around f4.
Thanks again for info, I have a lot of information to process right now. :)

As many people do...I have one of those 70-300 F4-5.6 lenses (I shoot Canon though). It's hard to know what to say about it...they are not terrible...they are better than those digicams with their 12X zoom lenses...but of all the lenses avaliable for your camera...they are closer to the bottom of the barrel than they are to the top...if you know what I mean.
Some people will never need or want sometrhing better...some people won't like them at all.

Getting something seriously better will cost a lot more...so I would suggest that there is nothing wrong with getting that lens, or something similar.

Getting used lenses is usually a pretty safe venture...most of the lenses I have, were bought used. As with anything, you will want to check it out, to the best of your abilities. Make sure that it focuses and zooms smoothly...and that it's clean inside and out. Many lenses get a bit of dust on the inside...and a little bit won't do any damage...so don't be too concerned about that. As long as there are no big scratches etc.

It is a big leap primarily because of the complexity of optics in making such a lens that is suitable for that kind of range.
For what it's worth, I bought a tamron 70-300mm lens before I knew anything about lenses. They're only about $150 on ebay and 'decent' for the money. They are also very light but they have a cheap plastic feel to them, but the images are pretty good. Might want to look at that as well, of course, the aperture is only f/4-5.6 I think.
Second hand lenses are like second hand anything else, if they were cared for you can get a nice deal. Just make sure the aperture is still snappy and operating correctly. Also take care that there is no fungus inside or an inordinate amount of dust inside or lens scratches.

..but of all the lenses avaliable for your camera...they are closer to the bottom of the barrel than they are to the top...if you know what I mean.

Yep, I know what you mean :lol:
-
Now I know what I'm looking for, thanks for the advice people! I appreciate it.

Most reactions

Back