Lens question

Scurra

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Ok the last post didn't go so well...

I'll try a different tactic:

I have a EOS 3000V and the images I get from the 28-90mm lens are a bit soft for my liking.

What zoom lenses would you recommend as an alternative that might offer me a sharper result?

There could be a lot of reasons why your pictures aren't sharp, some pertaining to the quality of the lens, some not. Are your shutter speeds slower than the focal length of the lens? Camera shake could be the culprit.

Certainly the 28-90mm lens is not the best that canon makes, but you will get sharper pics if you stop down to between f8 and f11. I don't know what you were shooting, and what light conditions. This may not be possible.

If you are looking at a better lens, my question is, what subjects do you normall shoot? The two lenses you metinoned are of completely different focal lengths. I wouldn't pick one over the other, because they would not be used for the same thing. Ideally you'd like to have both the whole range.

Also, how much are you willing to spend?

Relating to the subject I was shooting, It was a roll of portrait shots, taken using a tripod so camera shake should have been minimal. The lighting conditions were bright mid afternoon sun.

I want to take mostly portrait and fashion style shots (full body).

It would be nice to have a full range of lenses though as I'm also quite taken with the macro side of things.

Maybe if you could suggest a macro lense and a better lens for portrait shots that would be a good place to start.

In terms of how much am I willing to spend. It's more a case of seeing what I can find whether it be new or second hand that will yeild the best results for my money, ideally however I wouldn't like to spend excessive amounts.

Sorry for being a total newb :)

Canon makes the 100mm f/2.8 macro lens,which would be a much sharper, faster lens that would work for portraiture and macro. Maybe not for full body shots though.

That's a cheaper priced lens. Canon makes an 85mm f/1.2 lens that costs $1400 :p

The Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM is a pretty popular, affordable zoom lens.

You aren't going to find one lens that's good for everything.

Thanks muchly,

I'll hit ebay and see what I can find regarding those two lenses!

What's your budget? If it were portraits only, I'd pick:

85 /1.8 for 320 bucks
and
100 /2.0 for 370
and
135 /2.8 for 270 :lol:

Think of it! You can become a prime snob :D

If you want a zoom, get 70-200 f/2.8

Most reactions

New Topics

Back