lens question

hammerhead_05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
god im retarded...i have yet another question regarding lenses. If a lens says 1.8 85mm. Does that mean that there will be no adjustible zoom? Just a focuser.
|Brock|

god im retarded...i have yet another question regarding lenses. If a lens says 1.8 85mm. Does that mean that there will be no adjustible zoom? Just a focuser.
|Brock|

Correct.

It's f/1.8 -- 85mm.

This means it has a fixed focal length (e.g. no 'zooming' action) This type of lens is called a prime.

A lens of fixed focal lenght is ususally called a prime lens. So the lens you are referring to is a prime with a focal lenght of 85mm. In addition to the focus ring it will have a ring to adjust the apperture. The 1.8 means the widest apperture of that lens is f1.8. A minimum apperture for the same lens might be f16 or f22.

Prime lenses are known for being the highest quality optics for the price. I really like prime lenses, and I almost forget that I can't zoom when I'm using my 50mm, because you just adjust what pictures you're gonna take. Primes are good if you know what you're taking pictures of, because you can get a quality lens for less, and you won't be left without zoom when you need it.

Most reactions

Back