Lens Range

RedDevilUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i was testing my new lens from the bedroom window.. (through the glass)

and here are the results of the full range... 18mm to 300mm

18mm
18mm.jpg

35mm
35mm.jpg

50mm
50mm.jpg

70mm
70mm.jpg

100mm
100mm.jpg

210mm
210mm.jpg

300mm
300mm.jpg

Finally a crop of the 300mm image.. note: no digital zooming at all anywhere, on the crop i adjusted the contrast and brightness only!!

crop.jpg

OK so the final image isnt very spectacular in quality, but it shows the maximum zoom possible... actually better than my eyesight anyway LOL

it was raining today when i took these pictures, they may have been better in the sunshine.

when you compare the 1st image to the last 300mm crop its amazing.... i thought so anyway :)
RedDevil likes his new lens :)

OK, I have nothing of value to add, but just to say that I'm jealous! I want some new glass!!!!! :p

mkay. Your 18-70 has some mean barrel distortion.

With pincushion and lots of softness at the long end. Sorry, but superzooms are super awful optically. You've demonstrated that pretty well.
It's not a super zoom. It's pictures using two different lenses. He is using the 18-70 and the 70-300mm VR lens. I don't see the pincushion that you see. And his focal point in the last two or three pictures is off. I have the same 70-300mm lens he has and I can assure you that it isn't a soft lens. I have test pictures that I can show you if you would like. As for all super zooms being bad, right know the 18-200mm is the hottest thing since columbus hit this side of the main land. I personally don't see all the hype but quite a few people swear by them.

As for all super zooms being bad, right know the 18-200mm is the hottest thing since columbus hit this side of the main land. I personally don't see all the hype but quite a few people swear by them.

And that makes it good?

Olympus now have a compact with an 18x lens. Yes, 18x. I hate to imagine what images from the short and long ends will look like... Of course it'll probably sell fairly well. Just because something sells well doesn't necessarily mean it's very good quality.

It will sell well because the typical consumer of consumer level cameras are obsessed with numbers. More megapixels, more #x zoom, bigger sized screen, smaller size, etc...

Same is true with cars... More HP more gears in the trans, but they don't even look at torque or curb weight.

Same is true with a lot of things being marketed.

Very good, it would really help newbies like me to better understand focal length!! :):):)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back