1. (you can dismiss this notice by clicking the X in the upper right hand corner)

As part of our new initiative on TPF you can come and take part in a series of new in-depth articles and discussions every month. Featured this month are the methods that one of our top avian photographers, Kristofer Rowe uses to get his stunning photos (as also featured on Tamron USA website as well!). So drop in and take part, I know that Kristofer will be happy to answer your questions and hear what you do out in the field with your camera!

Capturing Distinctive Bird Images

Lens Ratios

Discussion in 'Macro Photography' started by jubbin2001, Jul 30, 2010.

1. jubbin2001

jubbin2001 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Can someone please exlain the math behind macro ratios? For example, I have a Vivitar 100mm macro lens that shoots 1:2 without the diopter on the front. Now lets say instead of the diopter I use a 1.4x telecoverter. What is the lens actually shooting at now?

Then lets say I have a 21mm extension tube coupled with the 1.4x teleconverter, where am I at now?

If someone could please explain the math and give some examples that would be awesome!! Thanks!

2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  3. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    All I can say is that you magnification ramps up quick when you start using a combo of TC's and tubes.

On my 180mm 1:1...adding the 1.4tc get's me around 1.475:1. Using 68mm of tubes gets me around 1.4:1.....logically you would think that would mean the combo of both would put me at around 1.9:1, but in reality the full set of both puts me between 2.5:1 and 2.7:1. So basically the combo of those really increases mag a lot quicker.

I can't say for sure, but I would guess on a 2:1 lens that the 1.4TC and 21mm tube would put you at least 1:1 if not a bit beyond.

I actually have a 1:2 faux-macro that I can try to test out if I can find the time and see what the combo of a 20ish mm tube and a 1.4TC puts the mag at.....of course it's a 300mm lens instead of a 100mm so the tube won't have as much effect on mine as it will your 100mm.