Lens recomendations

zaramuni

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Out of curiosity - what are people's favorite lens to shoot wedding with? I have recently obtained a second body and want to know which lens I should put on my cameras. I have Nikons. Any suggestions?

Weddings? Anything fast will do. I have switched between a 50mm f/1.8, 105mm f/2.8, and ifyou have the spare capital, a 17-55mm f/2.8 or something similar would be nice too.

The critical thing here is the aperture as youare often working with very little available light. My last wedding I used mainly my 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 but made liberal use of flash in the process.

That sounds like good advice to me.
The 17-55 F2.8 and the 70-200 F2.8 VR would be a very good combination. If shooting in very low light (without flash), you may want to use a fast prime (F1.8 or F1.4 etc.)

Top three 85 1.4, 70-200 vr, and the 28-70 2.8 (the holy trinity as some on Nikon cafe have called it)

Top three 85 1.4, 70-200 vr, and the 28-70 2.8 (the holy trinity as some on Nikon cafe have called it)
That's a pretty good combination...on a film camera. On a digital body, you would be seriously lacking on the wide end...that's where the 17-55 comes in.

while you're at it, check out the 105/2 and 135/2 defocus control lenses. i'd recommend those, or any of the others that have been suggested.

Oh? This is the first time I have seen a Defocus Control lens mentioned. Do you use this lens professionally in the field? I have always pegged this as something for still life photography thinking that they take a bit of effort to produce the right effect. Mind you I've never used one either.

I second all of the above my selection would be.

70-200VR 2.8
24-70 2.8
17-55 2.8

That is the core the best group of lenses to cover the range. Other than that I might add a nice macro mabye a special effect lens like a lens-baby but that is about it. Personally I have the 85 and the 70-200 and think they are redundant.

Thanks for all recommendations. I want to get the 17-55 2.8, sounds like that would be the most useful. Guess I better start saving up!

Most reactions

Back