Lens Recommendation for Nikon

catharsis3k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am a beginner at photography. My brother in law has a D80 and I've played a bit with it and really loved it so I decided to buy my own.

I've settled on the D90 to start with but I'm not sure which lens to get for it.

My brother in law will give me his 70-300 but I will still need an all-purpose lens I believe. So far here are my choices:

18-55
18-70
16-85

The 16-85 obviously is the most expensive but I'm wondering if I will really see a difference in 'daily' shots when compared to the 18-55

Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

I would go with the 18-70, I have owned that lens and it is a great lens.
I can't speak for the 16-85 but if you will also have the 70-300 I think you would be happy.

Well compared to the 18-55 yes you would see a difference. The 18-55 is the cheapest and nastiest kit lens Nikon makes. It is the type of lens you get given with your first camera and then get rid of as soon as possible.

The 18-70 is a great step up from it not only optically but also in build quality, and in usability. The 18-70 I would say would have to be one of the best budget lenses there is.

The 16-85 is basically the 18-70 with VR. Nothing too new here. If VR is worth the money for you then it's a good option, otherwise it has been show to be optically similar to the 18-70.

I have the 16-85 and the 70-300.

Both are VR. nice to have at times.

Both use the same size filters. Very nice to one set of filters.

The 16-85 is a very sharp lens.

The 70-300 tends to get a little soft on 300. But it's still nice.

I've never used the other too lenses. I know I didn't want the kit lens though.

If anything, I now wish I would have spent the money on a Tamron 16-50 f/2.8. I often wish I had the little extra for low light situations.

My D90 came with the Nikkor 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 VR lens. It's a good lens I think with a good range to handle most situations while walking around anywhere. I'd recommend it.

Is the 70-300mm a VR lens? I have that lens and it's VR2; I think the VR really works great especially if you're not using a tripod for every shot, which likely you aren't.

And it depends on what you shoot. I do daily random shots indoor and at dusk. There isn't a lens you listed which is one that I think everyone should have. It's a 50mm f/1.8 and it's great in low light and for shallow DOF. And the best part it's only $120!! But if it's for everyday things from your list I would go with the 16-85 VR. And get nikon lenses they focus faster and look cool:sexywink:

The 18-55 is not that bad. I like to refer to this thread to see a chap and what he was doing with a simple D40 and the 18-55.

Personally, if you had the cash, I would look at a third party F/2.8 lens. There are enough out there that will make perfect walk around lenses. I have the Sigma 24-60 F/2.8. It's pretty hard to find (Cameta was selling them for 200 bucks or so a year ago) but if you can find one for around 200 or less, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.

My D90 came with the Nikkor 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 VR lens. It's a good lens I think with a good range to handle most situations while walking around anywhere. I'd recommend it.

Is the 70-300mm a VR lens? I have that lens and it's VR2; I think the VR really works great especially if you're not using a tripod for every shot, which likely you aren't.

so between the 18-70 and the 18-105, which one would be a better choice ?
they're both f/3.5

The 18-55 is not that bad. I like to refer to this thread to see a chap and what he was doing with a simple D40 and the 18-55.

Personally, if you had the cash, I would look at a third party F/2.8 lens. There are enough out there that will make perfect walk around lenses. I have the Sigma 24-60 F/2.8. It's pretty hard to find (Cameta was selling them for 200 bucks or so a year ago) but if you can find one for around 200 or less, I would snatch it up in a heartbeat.
Nikon's kit 18-55mm knocks the socks off of Canon's kit 18-55mm. For what it costs is a pretty good piece. But if can afford to upgrade, do so.

so between the 18-70 and the 18-105, which one would be a better choice ?
they're both f/3.5

Much of a muchness. The quality of both these lenses are about equal. The 18-70 has nicely geared focusing mechanisms and is smoother to use compared to the 18-105 which also shows more distortion, but thats a very small price to pay for the 35mm extra reach.

The reach between 70 and 105 is really not that much, but then neither is the differences between these lenses.

I suggest you run off to the local photography shop which has both, and just have a quick play with them. Then follow whichever you feel more attached too. Both are quite capable.

Most reactions

Back