Lens Recommendations for a DC trip

Ironeagle

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for some lens recommendations for my trip to DC in April. I plan on going to the usual monuments, Smithsonian, Arlington, Mount Vernon, Botanical Gardens, among other places. If possible, I would like to get some night shots of the monuments.
I own a D300 and a K20D.

Any help would be great.
Thanks,
John

On my last trip to DC I took my 18-200 and my D70. I had a great time and I got some great photos. One piece of advise, book the night photography tour before you go. They sell out FAST. Have a great time and stay safe.

If you are doing night photos of the monuments, I would recommend a fast wide angle lens with a tripod. I would also recommend at least a 28-135 or higher zoom so you will not have a ton of lenses to carry with you. When I went, I was shooting film still, and I only had a 28-300 lens on my Pentax, and looking back I wish that I would have had a faster lens with me.

If it were me, I'd be picking up a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. Great for really capturing the grandness of the monuments, and just really taking in a scene.

I'd also bring along a fast prime (50mm f/1.8) for night stuff.

If it were me, I'd be picking up a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8. Great for really capturing the grandness of the monuments, and just really taking in a scene.

I'd also bring along a fast prime (50mm f/1.8) for night stuff.

Man that 11-16 is an awesome lens! It's on my list of next lenses to purchase. it's about two down from the top. The next lens is the 17-50 tamrom 2.8.

If you're doing night time shots at the monuments, hop the metro to Chinatown at the MCI center stop and go take pictures there. There'll be a ton of people there for some night time street photography. It's also well let and you can stop at RFD's across the MCI center for a decent selection of good brews and some good food.

My last trip to DC was with a 35mm film body and an Asahi SMC M 50mm f/2. My only regret is that I didn't bring a roll of P3200 for the indoor stuff.

If I were doing it again (with my K100D), I would bring a fast normal lens (not a 50mm, that's too long for me on a crop body, I would look into the SMCP-FA 35mm f/2 or the Sigma 30mm f/1.4, with a preference for the Pentax unless that last stop is a huge issue) for 90% of my shooting and something superwide (Pentax 12-24 f/4, 14mm f/2.8, or maybe even the 10-17 f/3.5-4/5 if you want to have fisheye capability on the short end).

I really don't think 50mm on a crop body makes an effective carry lens. 50mm on full-frame is perfection, but 75-80mm is no longer normal and is, for me, best used for portraits and close-up shooting. I would feel very limited in an urban/museum setting with a lens this long.

Second the recommendation for a 35mm f/2 - great quality and great value, and the crop-sensor "equivalent" of a 50mm. Both Nikon and Pentax make one so you can choose between the Pentax on the K20d for shake reduction or the Nikon on the D300 for cleaner high ISO shots. Both are very good lenses. The Sigma f/1.4 feels nice but I don't know how it performs.

However I feel like I'm getting ahead of myself a bit here... to help us give the best advice on what to pick for your next lens, could you tell us what lenses you already have? :)

Most reactions

Back