Lens recommendations for clublife photography?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Saska, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Saska

Saska TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I do some photography out on nightclubs, where lightning conditions are very poor (sample: White Room - STUREPLAN.se) I use Nikon D60 with standard lens AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 that came with. External flash sb-600.

The other night I was out working and some idiot came and poured a glass of water all over my camera (on purpose). The lens is not functioning properly (the majority of the pictures turn out blurry, no focus) and when the button is pushed down halfways to set focus the lens gives away strange, cracking noises. So now I am in need of a new lens (of couse I have to pay out of my own pocket as this dude refuses to pay for the equipment he ruined...douce)

Instead of getting a new camera (I believe the camera is fine, it's just the lenx that's broken) and instead of getting a new standard lens i was thinking about getting a new lens that is more sensitive to light.

A recurrent problem I have when photographing at clubs is that my images often become very dark. Especially the background (whilst the faces of people become very light, because of the flash). I use F3,5 iso800 and shutterspeed 1/8.

What kind of lens should I be looking at? I've been looking at SIGMA 18-50mm F2,8 EX HSM Macro ... What do you think? any recommendations?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  2. Saska

Saska TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No, it was on PURPOSE! And he has admitted to it. Then he called me a retard for bringing my camera into a club. But I was just doing my job. He called me a numerous of horrid things and said he refused to pay for a new lens and then hung up on me. There are five witnesses that saw what he did, and he doesn't deny it, he just won't pay up :( Now I've already lost hundreds of pounds because I've been out of work for two weeks and I can't afford to buy a new lens but somewhat I have to or else I'll lose my job. What a ****er, eh?

3. Dieselboy

Dieselboy TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Small claims court.

4. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Agreed, or whatever they call it in the UK.

As for a new lens, get a prime, somewhere in the 20-28mm range with f1.8.

5. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    When you take someone to small claims court you sue for:

Claims court fees + amount you wish to reclaim

I know, I've been there. And also it's a good idea to insure, it's cheap too depending on how much you have invested.

I have about $7,000 worth of gear invested through State Farm for about $140 a year. I think this includes me accidentally dropping something. And it's insured for the amount I purchased it, doesn't depreciate.

6. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    If that had been me he would need a new nose and jaw and he would have been on his arse, do you know him if so sort him out

7. AverageJoe

AverageJoe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  8. Neil S.

Neil S. TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Things like this make me glad I live in Japan.

People never do things like this over here, and if they do it's almost always other Americans.

Japanese are very respectful of other people for the most part, more than I can say for my fellow countrymen.

9. SwiftTone

SwiftTone TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    If you worked for the club, how come the security did not get involved?

Anyways, get the 35mm f/1.8. I've tried the sigma, but the focus was kinda slow for me being outside in daylight.

As far as the subject being too bright with dark background, try angling it differently, and use a diffuser. Good luck

10. djacobox372

djacobox372 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    35mm 1.8 is my vote as well.

Although if you can afford it a d700 body would really help in those dark situations as well, especially if you pair with a 50mm 1.4 or, better yet, a 50mm 1.2 ais

11. mwcfarms

mwcfarms No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Im glad I saw this again. I saw in an earlier post and thought you said it was $140 a month which was way high I thought. This is definetly reasonable. Going to look into it for sure.

12. Saska

Saska TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was looking at the 35mm f1.8 nikkor lens, think I will go for that one. It's a lot cheaper than the Sigma 18-50mm F2,8 EX HSM Macro but more sensitive to light which is what I am in need of. Have a few questions though, I'm trying to understand what a DX lens is? And what does AF or AF-S stand for? I tried to comprehend this: Nikon DX Lenses ... have to explain it to me as if I am dumb.

I assume I can use this nikkor lens with any nikon cameraw? (im thinking about selling my d60 and buy a d5000 instead, and get the 35mm lens for clubphotographing. what do you recommend?

Just need to know what af-s and dx stands for? i think there was a similar lens but it twice as expensive, one was 35mm af and the other 35mm afs ... wht is the difference?