Lens redundancy?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by three_eyed_otter, Jul 22, 2007.

1. three_eyed_otter

three_eyed_otter TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor

12-24mm f/4G ED-IF AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor

I am thinking about purchasing the 17-55mm to replace my 18-55mm kit lens. At the same time I really want the 12-24mm to give a go at some decent depth of field photography. Would having both of these lenses in the same kit be redundant? TIA for any opinions:
    :drool:ME: via OFr. from L. opinio(n-), from the stem of opinari 'think, believe'.

TIA for any facts:
    :greenpbl:C15 (orig. meaning 'an act', later 'a crime', surviving in the phr. before (or after) the fact): from L. factum, neut. past participle of facere 'do'.

have a good one
    3Eo

2. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

3. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are others to consider. The 17-55 is a wonderful lens, but if you don't want to feel entirely that redundant why not look at the Sigma 10-20mm for the other. It is also a very fine lens. The extra wide angle will not seem redundant by any stretch.

4. three_eyed_otter

Photos OK to edit
    I guess I'm also asking do you guys have lens that overlap or have you created such a roadmap for lens purchases to avoid such things. In my N80 (film) days I only had two lenses (the kit lens and 70 -300mm) that rig was stolen and when I replaced it I never got a new 70-300mm. Now I find myself really enjoying the adventures of digital photography and have decided to purchase (in time) a decent repetoire of lenses. I just want to avoid (if possible) making any unnecessary purchases, hence the concerns of overlapping focal lengths.

have a good one
    3Eo

5. S2K1

S2K1 TPF Noob!

All three of my lenses overlap with one or the other, and I have no problem with it, the 17-55 would be great as a walk-around lens and the 12-24 would be great for wide-angle shots. They're for specific purposes and I see no issue with it.

6. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yep I have an 18-70 and a 70-150. But in there I have a 50mm and a 105mm. I have plans for the 85mm too.

Lenses are specific purpose so even if they do overlap there's no major problem. Like the 50mm is f/1.8 the 85mm is f/2.8, and the 105mm is a f/2.8 macro.

One of the lenses I would consider buying that would overlap directly with what I have is a 35-105mm even though this range is already covered it is a great range for portrait uses, which would mean the 18-70 70-150 can stay at home when taking portraits. In reality I don't have the spare capital for that though :(

7. three_eyed_otter

Photos OK to edit
    So overlap is inevitable, it's just a matter of getting different lenses for different purposes.? The thing that was bothering me about the two lenses is that I have read some 12-24mm purchaser reviews and lots of them say that the lens stays on their camera most of the time. While I was thinking that the 17-55mm would stay on the camera most of the time and the 12-24mm would be for more specific uses.

have a good one
    3Eo

8. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Not at all. In fact, it is what I carry. Think the 17-55 as your normal lens with some variation on either side and the 12-24 as your wide angle with some variation on either side. Great combination.

9. three_eyed_otter

Photos OK to edit
  10. DSLR noob

DSLR noob TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thats his signature, not what he said to you.

11. three_eyed_otter

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, I went and checked out the foodie site and in my previous post I was trying to give it a little plug.

12. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm pretty sure a used 50mm f/1.8 is in my near future, saw one recently at a decent price. But I want to save up for Nikon's 105mm. This prompts the question of getting an older used one or be patient until the funds are available for the latest model? I want to shoot close-ups and portraits with my D80. Any thoughts?

Also, I have seen the term "prime" lens used on the forum. What is meant by that?