Lens Rentals

Sachphotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey, Anybody use Lens Rentals.com?
Im going to Hawaii and I am seriously thinking about renting some Glass from them for the trip. Im looking at the following:

Nikon 14-24 f/2.8 $81
Nikon 14mm 2.8 fish eye $76
Sigma 120-300 f/2.8- $164
Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro-$52
Sea & Sea DX-1G (10.3mp underwater camera) $97
Lowepro Backpack-$29

And If I get really antsy I might grab a D3X -$478

I am not really sure of all the exacts right now but would like some input from anyone who has rented before from here or anywhere else.

Thanks!

Is the 14mm really a fisheye? I know the 10.5mm and 16mm are listed as such, but was never aware of the 14mm until your post.

Either way, thanks for the link to that site! I checked it out and plan on renting that 14-28 as well (only way I'm getting my hands on one).

Is the 14mm really a fisheye? I know the 10.5mm and 16mm are listed as such, but was never aware of the 14mm until your post.

Either way, thanks for the link to that site! I checked it out and plan on renting that 14-28 as well (only way I'm getting my hands on one).

OOPS!. It is not a fish eye. I though it was. I guess I will be looking into a different fish eye then. lol My bad.

The Sigma 10mm or 15mm fisheye it is then.

I thought I would ask, just in case you were really looking for a fisheye, I wouldn't want you to be disappointed when it came :thumbup:

I would highly recommend the 10.5mm, unless you're on a FX format body. I can't tell you how fun it is to walk around with that thing on.

I thought I would ask, just in case you were really looking for a fisheye, I wouldn't want you to be disappointed when it came :thumbup:

I would highly recommend the 10.5mm, unless you're on a FX format body. I can't tell you how fun it is to walk around with that thing on.

Thanks. They are about the same price anyways. I have never used under a 16mm before. That thing is gonna be wide! Looking forward to it. I am gonna rent the lenses before I go to play with them and get used to them.

i have a student who have rented from these foks and was very pleased.

When you shoot with that fisheye, I would recommend not only trying to get expansive landscape shots, but also getting right up on things. I mean if you're shooting an interesting building, get so close to it your toes are toughing it (well, not literally but you get the idea) :thumbup:

When you shoot with that fisheye, I would recommend not only trying to get expansive landscape shots, but also getting right up on things. I mean if you're shooting an interesting building, get so close to it your toes are toughing it (well, not literally but you get the idea) :thumbup:

LOL yeah I know what you mean. I have a lot of idea for stuff want to do. To be honest I am looking forward to going to Volcano National Park. That is going to be my highlight of the trip. I don't plan on using the fisheye for the lava just FYI.

Im glad I am renting the fisheye first though. If I got it I know I would get bored quick and have to sell it. This way it only cost me like 50 and I can give it back. :)

If you get to Maui, make sure and do the "wake up middle of the night, go watch the sunrise on Haleakala crater"

If you take one of the tours you will get to the volcano crater while it is still dark, and watch the sunrise from there. At sunrise, the sun seems to come up from below you, while you are looking down on the clouds below with the ocean in the distance.

Used to be that some of the tours would take you to breakfast on the North Shore so you might get to see some big surf in the early AM.

You will have an unforgettable time, I promise you that. Your pics, even if they were taken with a p&s will be nothing short of spectacular. Your being a photographer will make it a dream trip for you.

On the Big Island, you mention Volcano National Park - another really cool place there will be lots of interesting old lava formations to shoot, with fissures where steam is escaping just a few feet from you (or closer).

For ANY of the islands of Hawaii - if you can't find something really cool to shoot, your are nuts!

Then, that evening (whatever island you are on), you will see the most beautiful, colorful sunset you have ever seen, with the sunset coming the next night to be even more beautiful...

Enjoy!

NAPP members get a discount from both LensRentals.com and LensProToGo.com.

Both are great places to do business with.

When traveling, NAPP members can get discounts from the Choice Hotels group, and both Budget and Alamo car rentals.

I have not decided what hotel we are staying at. Im going to be staying on the Big Island though. After researching it The Big Island has a lot to offer. The biggest things that saddens me though, is I was into astrophotography for the longest time. I sold my telescope gear years back and now that I am going to one of the best spots in the world to view the sky....I cannot do it!!! LOL I am going to shot some stuff from the top of Mauna Kai though. I am sure I ill get some good stuff. I'm gong to be there a week so I am sure I will take nothing short of a million pictures. :) I am renting a jeep Wrangler so that will be awesome for cruising around. The Big Island was chosen due to that fact there are so many different things to shoot..

I spoke with a lady here a few weeks ago and she gave me a detailed list of places to go.

What kind of discount we taking with the NAPP membership?

I have not decided what hotel we are staying at. Im going to be staying on the Big Island though. After researching it The Big Island has a lot to offer. The biggest things that saddens me though, is I was into astrophotography for the longest time. I sold my telescope gear years back and now that I am going to one of the best spots in the world to view the sky....I cannot do it!!! LOL I am going to shot some stuff from the top of Mauna Kai though. I am sure I ill get some good stuff. I'm gong to be there a week so I am sure I will take nothing short of a million pictures. :) I am renting a jeep Wrangler so that will be awesome for cruising around. The Big Island was chosen due to that fact there are so many different things to shoot..

I spoke with a lady here a few weeks ago and she gave me a detailed list of places to go.

Don't forget the oxygen tank for your venture up Mauna Kea. :D

Don't forget the oxygen tank for your venture up Mauna Kea. :D

Not worried. Went up MT Evans IN CO back in August. 14400ft ( something close to to that) And had no issues at all. :)

Not sure when you are going, but it will be cold there this time of year up that volcano. Expect to see plenty of snow during the winter months.

When we have stayed on the Big Island, we always liked the Kona area, where they host the Ironman events. We used to like to stay at the old Kona Surf until it got to looking pretty old. A few years ago Sheraton bought it and renovated it, I hear it turned out pretty nice.

Whenever you go, whenever you stay - Happy shooting!

I've been posting this advice a lot on this form, but I don't see the point of lens rentals.

If you buy quality used equipment the depreciation over a couple weeks is ZERO. If you want a used lens temporarily just sell it when your done with it, you'll end up spending far less then if you rented it. And if you end up really liking the lens you aren't out the rental costs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back