Lens reversal issues

LOL Gahhhh I swear I'm right. Even if I'm not I'm just going to lie to you. :)

But really, with the freelensing, wouldn't it make sense? the light leaks in from all sides since I hold the lens a bit aways from the mount.

LOL Gahhhh I swear I'm right. Even if I'm not I'm just going to lie to you. :)

But really, with the freelensing, wouldn't it make sense? the light leaks in from all sides since I hold the lens a bit aways from the mount.

If you're seeing light that's leaking in between the lens & body in the viewfinder, that will show up in the image as well.

If there would be light leaks because of freelensing that would indeed make the viewfinder (and the photos you shoot) brighter. However I suspect it would also make you lose a lot of contrast, you'd definitely know if it was a light leak by the contrast.

It's simply not possible for the viewfinder to be as bright at f/22 as it is at f/1.8 (without extra effects because of light leaks), no matter how you look at it. :p

Well yeah, but it's not dark either. I'm going to do this tonight and hopefully post soon after :)

This basically turns one lens into a high-end close-up filter. You'll want to use the reversed lens wide open, as you will be using the aperture of the lens mounted to the camera to control exposure (and DOF) as you normally would. This method favors Canon as you can 'open' the aperture of the reversed lens using the DOF Preview trick mentioned above to it's largest (smallest f/number), and control the exposure as your would normally. Nikon users, if using a G-class lens, will either need to manually hold the aperture control tab of the lens open manually, or can use a BR-6. Since I have D-class lenses, I can just unlock the aperture ring and open my 50 to f/1.8.
I've got a couple of 35mm SLRs that I no longer use, a Vivitar and a Minolta XG1. The 50mm lenses from these are perfect for stacking, since they have manual aperture controls. Likewise, most camera stores have used 50mm manual lenses for very reasonable prices.

So is there a benefit to stacking lenses?

I don't think we are stacking lenses. Just images. That is how you can get a broader focal range. Never done it my self. Maybe one day but it takes a bit more planning.

Also, you should know your lens isn't meant to be mounted backward so using a lens mount for ring reversal is going to strain your equipment. I do ring reversal for my Macro shots but I just have to hold it in place.

Please explain how you are controlling the fstop with this technique as mine seems to be controlled by software and it doesn't do anything when the lens isn't properly attached.

Edit: Never mind... hadn't read far enough... *insert foot in mouth smiley here*

So is there a benefit to stacking lenses?

I don't think we are stacking lenses. Just images. That is how you can get a broader focal range. Never done it my self. Maybe one day but it takes a bit more planning.

Also, you should know your lens isn't meant to be mounted backward so using a lens mount for ring reversal is going to strain your equipment. I do ring reversal for my Macro shots but I just have to hold it in place.

Please explain how you are controlling the fstop with this technique as mine seems to be controlled by software and it doesn't do anything when the lens isn't properly attached.

Edit: Never mind... hadn't read far enough... *insert foot in mouth smiley here*

The thread title is "Lens Reversal issues......"
fiufiu.gif

I know. The very basic flipping your lens around was covered in a book I read. Otherwise this is all new to me, lens stacking and what not... Feel free to ignore me I have no clue what you guys are talking about. Or what I am talking about for that matter.

Most reactions

Back