Lens Selection Help

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bs63366, Nov 29, 2008.

1. bs63366

bs63366 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I am currently looking at going to the Tokyo Auto Salon. I am wanting to be well prepared for the low lights that I have seen from other photos of the auto show. I am wondering 1. can you bring a flash with you to the show if anyone that has been there before could fill me in on this, and 2. I am looking at getting the Canon 50mm EF f/1.4 USM lens. Would this be a good lens for the low light that will be in the auto show, and also keep the depth of field close to keep attention on the object I am photographing? I will be shooting with a Rebel XSi and possibly, if allowed a 580 EX II flash. Also what would be good filers to work with inside? Thank you in advanced for the help.

2. Chris of Arabia

Chris of Arabia Herding cats since 1988... Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Filers? Not sure I understand you on that one.

The 580EXII should work well for you. If not, then the 50mm and a higher ISO setting (400/800 maybe) should give you a pretty good go at getting some decent shots. A wider angle lens might be useful too, as generally you can use them at somewhat slower shutter speeds and not get to much camera shake.

3. JerryPH

JerryPH No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    On camera flash + cars = generally crappy pics.

You need to first get the flash off camera or my preference, boost ISO a little and use ambient and slower shutter speeds. Cars are very specular, and if you are shooting with on-axis flash, all you are going to see are big blotches of white circles reflected on the cars from your flash.

EXAMPLES of car shots used without flash at a car show.

4. bs63366

bs63366 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was thinking maybe a diffuser with a indirect flash if need be being that I have not been before. Do you think that the lens alone will be enough because from what I have seen, this is a darker room that the car show is in. Once again thank you for all you help.