Lens selection?/Help?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by cosmoepic, Jan 23, 2009.

1. cosmoepic

cosmoepic TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    for my nikonD40 was wondering what good affordable (somewhat inexpensive) lenses to get? i have just the stock one , but i would like one for macro, and one for somewhat far distance

thanks

2. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    There are some long focal length zoom lenses that have partial macro capability. There are third party lens makers that have lenses that are not that expensive.

example

Sigma AF 70-300mm macro

3. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    You really need to define "somewhat inexpensive"... The 55-200 is very reasonably priced at $220; the 70-300 is even cheaper at $140, BUT it's not an AF-S lens and won't autofocus on your body. Remember that these are consumer-grade lenses, and are on the slow side (small maximum aperture, requiring a lot of light/slow shutter speed) and the build quality is often less than ideal.

With respect to the issue of macro, dedicated macro lenses are not cheap; they're high-quality precision lenses. You can however acheive macro results by using close-up filters or extension tubes. Depending on the quality you choose, you can be in for <$50.