Lens selections

jsmharley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have decided to go with the Canon XTi 400d camera and the kit lens to start with. I will be getting some more lenses over the next year or so to hopefully get a good foundation going and would like some input on my selections. They are in no real order... canon 50mm f1.8, canon 100mm f2.8 macro or sigma 105mm f2.8 exdg macro, tamron 70-300 f4-5.6 di ld. Will probably go with the 50 mm first and follow it with the 70-300. Which macro would you prefer and for what reason?, and would you recommend a different approach. My plans are mostly portrait and macro things. I scuba dive and would eventually like to get a ikelite housing for it and take it with me as I do my p/s sony now, so the macro lens will come in handy for that aspect as well. The diving will be aimed more for 2008 summer do to cost of the housing and ports. So after all this rambling I guess my ?'s are 1. is this a good selection of lenses to build on 2. which macro lens canon or sigma? Thanks for the input :)

sounds good for what you want, but you may want to consider the 85mm 1.8 as well for portrait work.

For macros I'd go with the canon, it has a much closer focusing distance (5.9") compared to the sigma's (12.2") meaning you'll get much more "macro". The distance is because the Sigma is a digital only lens, so on a digital crop with a focus distance of about a foot you'll still get 1:1 reproduction. With the canon on a crop sensor you'll get much higher magnification, a bit over the 1:1 advertised. Also the canon has USM, so it will be fast autofocusing (great if its accurate) and quiet, which helps to not scare away critters.

I agree with gingky. I am looking at the canon 100mm f2.8 macro. The reviews are very good.

I scuba also but I would be scared to death to put my camera in one of those housings.

I agree with gingky. I am looking at the canon 100mm f2.8 macro. The reviews are very good.

I scuba also but I would be scared to death to put my camera in one of those housings.
Why??? That doesn't make any sense. I can't see not trusting a housing that is going to cost 1/2 the price of your body. As far as a macro lens I think it depends on how much you use the lens. I personally would like a cheap macro lens but all I would intend on using it for would be the occasional shot of rings at the weddings I do. If you intend on using it as a primary lens inside a UW housing I would get the highest quality lens you can afford.

I would be scared to death to put my camera in one of those housings.

well, I had no problem putting it into the housing.. for me the scary idea is more to take it under water then! :p

I was thinking of the better macro for diving as well, was just looking to save some cash. lol I guess that is not always the wisest thing to do huh :), as far as the housing goes, I wish it were half the cost of the camera body :confused:. Unfortunetly the ikelite for the 400d is around 1200 not counting the port for your lenses. This is why I won't be getting in H2O with it util next year :grumpy:. Thanks for all the input, you all are great. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Thumbs up

Jeremy

Most reactions

Back