Lens Shopping is Frustrating!!!

Oh give me a break. The ONLY thing that matters on those lenses is the focal range, and the aperture. Not knowing what an ED of IF or G lens is no more makes someone a noob than knowing it somehow makes you a master.

Every company likes to throw in its own set of 2 letter acronyms to qualify their lenses. And in most cases, these aren't a huge thing.

I agree that the focal range and aperture are the most important. And I agree that knowing what each acronym means doesn't make you a photoGod.

But for a Canon, knowing the difference between an EF or an EF-S lens is pretty important. Same as knowing what IS is (or VR for a Nikon).

Oh give me a break. The ONLY thing that matters on those lenses is the focal range, and the aperture. Not knowing what an ED of IF or G lens is no more makes someone a noob than knowing it somehow makes you a master.

Every company likes to throw in its own set of 2 letter acronyms to qualify their lenses. And in most cases, these aren't a huge thing.

I agree that the focal range and aperture are the most important. And I agree that knowing what each acronym means doesn't make you a photoGod.

But for a Canon, knowing the difference between an EF or an EF-S lens is pretty important. Same as knowing what IS is (or VR for a Nikon).
Nah, it's not important. Just buy the first thing that appears on the web page you're shopping on. There's no need to actually understand focal length, aperture, IS, EF, EF-S, DX or FX... totally irrelevant. Just get the most expensive one you can find and it will be the best for whatever it is you need.

:)

Here's the bonus, it's an outdoor wedding they are having it in his parents backyard. So living in the midwest my next concern is weather since here in Missouri it can go from 90 to snowing without a moments notice. But September is fairly predictable. I currently spend most of my time shooting in natural lighting now so I am not too worried about that.
Ironically, shooting in mid-day sun can be as challenging, if not more so, than shooting in a dimly lit reception hall. You will need a flash most likely in the sun, assuming it's not over cast. :)

Not argumentative. But as I said, theres a difference between caution and OVER-caution. A second body I can see, simply for the comfort factor - but investing in backups of backups of lenses, etc to me is overkill and its silly (no offense) to suggest that someone who is careful with their equipment would absolutely NEED that backup to be considered professional grade; especially if one is starting out and hasn't even gained an idea on what kind of equipment they will need in future. Worst case, ALL your bodies and ALL your lenses shut down. The chances of that happening are statistically ZERO. If one lens shuts down, great you got other lenses to work with. If one body shuts down, great you got the other one.

Now is Daisy has the fat stacks to roll like that, I say more power to ya. But I am always troubled when I see folks putting qualifiers on what makes someone a hobbyist and what makes them a pro.

That flies in the face of every professional opinion you will find on the subject.

This is the biggest problem "photography" has - the insistence on relying on group think to come to COMMON SENSE conclusions. Are there "pro" photographers out there rocking multiples (in duplicate and triplicate) - oh sure. And they no doubt have the cash flow to warrant unused equipment sitting idle. If you are in that position, and absolutely require backups for peace of mind (instead of say, not being a klutz - because other than MECHANICAL failure - the only breakage were looking at here is user error) then ****, go nuts - its your money. However to artificially create this divide is ludicrous and only contributes to the mass consumption mentality that permeates throughout the "pro" community. It's the same mentality that insists (nay demands!) that only first party lenses are capable of producing the "right shot" - the lenses that those folks saying that just so happen to be in possession of.

Last edited:
No fat stacks here, I shot with a Wal-mart p&s for years and years while I saved up for my baby. :)

ANDS!, you'll be hard pressed to find many who agree with you on this.

No one has said she needs an expensive camera as a second body. A used D40 or XS, rented body or even a borrowed body, would be all that's necessary. But showing up to a wedding with a single body and single lens is begging for disaster. When you're scurrying around trying to setup the various group shots, your camera can get dropped, kicked, punted, whatever. Your tripod can get knocked over, you can accidentally leave it sitting some place where a guest knocks it to the floor. What do you do when the infamous "Error 99" occurs or "F Error"? Whatever. It happens far more often than you seem to think it does.

What do you do then? Stop the wedding while you race out to Best Buy and buy a new body? Do you tell the bride "sorry, my camera broke so I'm done shooting for the day - have a great wedding!"?

Is it necessary to have a back-up? No. Is it irresponsible not to have one? Yup.

If she shows up with a single lens then yes, that is silly. Is it impossible. No - it only limits the "type" of shots she can get. My first thought wouldn't be - "Oh god. . .what if it breaks!" It would simply be "Well what if we have to put you somewhere in the back?"

I already mentioned the "kit" that I would think is necessary, and a cheap second body was included in that. I am fairly certain, that there are NUMEROUS people who will cry foul she would dare go so "low budget". Hell, the fact that she wants to shoot with a D300 will elicit that response. That doesn't make it the right sentiment, because there ARE people out there rocking that exact same mentality that have never had a camera fail on them, and havent had to tote around 5/6 lenses to take 300 or so shots.

Thats not irresponsibility; thats just real world limitations. If in the future she has the capability to go balls out and say "See folks - I got a lot of ****. . .no worries here!", great - it'll help peace of mind for those people that "know". But its those hard and fast rules that are perpetuated throughout the internet (and LOVED by camera wholesalers and retail outlets) that I take umbrage with as it puts off A LOT of individuals (talented individuals) who cant afford the "buy in" to play with the big kids.

If she shows up with a single lens then yes, that is silly. Is it impossible. No - it only limits the "type" of shots she can get. My first thought wouldn't be - "Oh god. . .what if it breaks!" It would simply be "Well what if we have to put you somewhere in the back?"

I already mentioned the "kit" that I would think is necessary, and a cheap second body was included in that. I am fairly certain, that there are NUMEROUS people who will cry foul she would dare go so "low budget". Hell, the fact that she wants to shoot with a D300 will elicit that response. That doesn't make it the right sentiment, because there ARE people out there rocking that exact same mentality that have never had a camera fail on them, and havent had to tote around 5/6 lenses to take 300 or so shots.

Thats not irresponsibility; thats just real world limitations. If in the future she has the capability to go balls out and say "See folks - I got a lot of ****. . .no worries here!", great - it'll help peace of mind for those people that "know". But its those hard and fast rules that are perpetuated throughout the internet (and LOVED by camera wholesalers and retail outlets) that I take umbrage with as it puts off A LOT of individuals (talented individuals) who cant afford the "buy in" to play with the big kids.
Okay, let's just agree that it is wise to come prepared. It's not vital to carry around backups for everything, but it is a good idea (more in this case than any).

I say if a photographer can get pro-quality results shooting a Rebel with a kit lens, more power to them. There are those that are sickly skilled and can do more with less. I do not think anyone here has questioned that. Plus, success in your market allows the user to upgrade, if for nothing else than to make their life easier.

BTW, are there many that consider the D300 "low-budget?" I guess those people would consider my gear extra low budget :)

Last edited:
Speaking as someone who has had gear fail right before a major shoot, having backup camera bodies is really important for someone who is being paid to produce images. I don't know of any professional who would tell you it's ok to go on a shoot without some kind of backup.

Speaking as someone who has had gear fail right before a major shoot, having backup camera bodies is really important for someone who is being paid to produce images. I don't know of any professional who would tell you it's ok to go on a shoot without some kind of backup.
I would rather have my camera fail on a paid shoot than on a friend/family shoot. At least on the paid shoot after the court case is settled you'll never have to see that person again. With the family/friend, every time the subject of the wedding comes up it will be a major sore spot. :)

I do agree with backup equipments (or even photographer) for a paid wedding photo shoot.

As for friends / relatives type case that has no money involve, that can be different unless the person (photographer) planning to go full gear in Wedding photography.

If the bride/groom understand the limitation of the photographer, it is all good. Because that is their choice not to hire a Pro photographer. If I buy a used car instead of a new one, I will need to accept the fact that when it break down in one year, I may need to pay for the repairs. I will not blame the car salesman.

And that is the different between a professional wedding photographer and someone shoot photos for fun.

Of course, for someone like to be a professional wedding photographer in the future, it won't hurt and starts to prepare like a pro.

ANDS, you may know people who haven't had their camera or other equipment fail, but that is like playing Russian Roulette. There will come a time (if they shoot enough weddings) where something will fail. If not, they are lucky and should play the lottery. It doesn't matter what kind of lens (or camera) you have as a backup (in a loose sense). Just use one for the sake of being responsible for your paying customer.
I agree that a skilled photographer can get great shots without buying the newest equipment. I will also add that some equipment can do more than others and yields better results than others. I would hope you use more than one lens to shoot a wedding if you are getting paid for it. :greenpbl:

Speaking of lenses again, it is important to know more about the functions besides focal length and aperture. For example, check out the following wikipedia article about chromatic aberration and look at the example of what it looks like when a lens has this problem. It can seriously affect your work.

Chromatic aberration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If anyone uses Canon, check out this following review site which shows samples of how all the different lenses work and look. YOu can actually compare photo quality. It was very useful to me.

Canon Digital SLR Camera & Lens Reviews

This actually helped me choose the 85mm 1.8 lens which fits some of my needs perfectly. You can see some samples of my newer work compared to my older work by clicking on my site and then my blog. See if you can tell the difference between the kit lens on the earlier posts and the new lens on the newest wedding I posted. Ask me if you want me to point out what the differences are if you can't tell.

www.silverliningsphoto.com

I would like to say that I'm thinking about getting married within the next couple years. To give the complete honest truth, being an avid photographer and aspiring to become a great wedding photographer, I would dismiss a photographer quoting my wedding if they didn't have a backup plan/backup photographers and backup lenses/camera bodies. I'm not gonna spend some 3 grand for a photographer who won't be prepared for murphy's law. On that note, spending around that amount I would *assume* that that pro would be prepared accordingly, and I would make it a point to bring up that very question.

I too had a camera failure while photographing a sweet 16, and I was devastated, got one of those error 99 something codes. Luckily I had my backup 30d from my assistant that I then used to finish the event as this failure happened right in the beginning.

Then again this is only my opinion, but will remain a factor from a clientele point of view on who I would, and I say this on purpose, *trust* to photograph such a memory.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back