LENS SIGMA 50MM/1.4 (A) DG HSM FOR CANON..YOUR OPINIONS?

ritapinho7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi there

what do you think about the above lens? It's to pair with my 6D..

Awaiting your best comments :)

I have the 2008 version and it's a great lens....the new lens is completely different from what I hear but knowing Sigma it should be a great performer.

I love and hate mine. It’s super sharp and it’s built like a tank, but the auto focus is very inconsistent (using the USB dock will fix it, but only for a little while, then it needs adjusting again). The bokeh is also pretty “meh” in my opinion. It often does this weird thing where it’ll double up the out of focus lines and basically create a busy background where you’re trying to blur out your background. All of that said, I’ve thought about selling it and saving for a Canon 50mm F1.2L because I’ve read that the AF is more reliable and the bokeh is supposed to look better, but the majority of my work is done in a studio, where I’m not trying to blur out a background and I do benefit from ridiculous sharpness. Ultimately, if I’m going out and about I usually bring my Canon 50mm F1.8 and leave the sigma art in the studio. That sounds crazy, but the sigma has been making me crazy for a few years now.

This first photo is the sigma 50mm Art at F1.4 and the second image is a Canon 135mm F2L at F2. I’ve bever owned the canon 50L but if it’s anything like this 135 I’m selling my sigma tomorrow.
9DD40832-14F1-4E85-874D-23993D37883A.jpeg
C43E2C8D-4A82-4EA5-BE62-E9A60C3814E7.jpeg

This last one was taken with the sigma 50 Art at Disneyland. So I don’t hate the lens. I love/hate it. Probably no “better” 50mm out there, just different strengths for different tastes. Hopefully you get a good copy. You can love this lens.
F8AB6417-8D8B-49F8-8A94-F4DB22E3F839.jpeg

I used one once on a crop sensor camera. It was great. At the time it was the best lens I had used. Later I ended up getting the Canon 85mm 1.8 but I think both are great for portraits.

I will say that to get the most out of these lenses you need to perform micro focus adjustment, something I learned on this forum.

Most reactions

Back