vijayramh

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello folks,

After having used the Canon 400D kit lens for about 3 months I would like to go in for my next investment on a lens. The budget would be around $250 - $300 range. Since the kit lens being a wide angle can zoom very little I wanted to go in for a better zoom range. When searching for a lens I found the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO ($300) quite a fit. I was also excited about the lens's MACRO facility at the 200-300mm range.

Would this be a good lens to buy or would you suggest any other Canon lense with a comparable zoom?

well...does ur camera allows third party lenses?

This is the Sigma, right? Check around for better pricing (looks like you can get it for close to $200) and also do a search for reviews.

A macro lens give you a minimum of 1:1 magnification. The zooms that are labeled "macro" by the marketing people do not attain this degree of magnification. They aren't true zooms.

Zooms are great for convenience but don't count on them for macro use.

Hello All,

The Canon 400D works with the Sigma lens I mentioned. There another sigma lens with the same spec but without the "APO" tag which retails around 200. Reviews dont rate it bad and I have seen a few macro shots too with this that seem good.

What I would like to know is whether I can get any other lenses at this range from Canon that would be a good zoom lens?

Canon makes a 75-300 F4-5.6...I think the latest version is the III USM. It should be fairly affordable, maybe a little more than the Sigma...quality should be fairly similar.

To get a better lens in this range, you would need to look at the Canon 70-300 IS...which is over $500.

For better quality but with less range, you can look at the 70-200mm lenses. Canon makes 4 different models. The F4 L, the F4 L IS, the F2.8 L and the F2.8 L IS. The first one is over $500 and they go up from there.

If you want to stick to your budget, you don't have a lot of options.

The only options I see is to go used and search for a good deal. Perhaps an EF lens from the late 80s to early 90s will still provide good results even though AF motor might be a bit slow.

The lens you picked is fine. It usually gets good reviews...and it can do somewhat decent macro...though not 1:1

The lens is actually rather good, make sure you get the APO version though. It makes a nice difference to the bokeh....

I bought this lens a while back and haven't been dissapointed. The AF is a little slow some times but the quality is really very good. Impressive for the price and reasonably sharp.

Hello folks,

After having used the Canon 400D kit lens for about 3 months I would like to go in for my next investment on a lens. The budget would be around $250 - $300 range. Since the kit lens being a wide angle can zoom very little I wanted to go in for a better zoom range. When searching for a lens I found the 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG MACRO ($300) quite a fit. I was also excited about the lens's MACRO facility at the 200-300mm range.

Would this be a good lens to buy or would you suggest any other Canon lens with a comparable zoom?
I just got this same lens for my sony this morning. For the price? It kills my other lenses in this range! I have seen a few pics taken with this lens in macro and they were killer. I think the quality is excellent! I'd say good choice to start out with for a zoom lens. i do believe B & H has this lens for around:thumbup: $219 I think that is what it was for my camera I don't know if the price is different for a Canon

Thanks folks. I guess I am convinced with this Sigma lens. As pointed I dont think I have a choice at this point. I will get back again when the budget is better and I have exhausted a bit with this lens.

Thanks again

Most reactions

Back