Lens Suggestion?

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had another thread about this somewhere.. but I have decided that I want to get a zoom lens for my D7000. I was up in Yosemite a few months back, and I was trying to photograph a bobcat that was 50yd away or so... my 18-105 just didn't cut it. However there was some fellow with a really nice tripod and a very long lens, and he let me see his viewfinder - the cat was full frame - and more zoom to spare. Price range is around 500(+), want something that focuses decently fast and will take crisp pictures. If there is nothing of that stature for that price, any recommendations are welcomed as I can always up my budget and plan on buying something more expensive in the future.

Thanks in advance!

The Nikkor 70-300 VR seems to get good reviews and is not astronomically expensive. Fast enough in good light.

Older 80-200 f/2.8 can be had for a bit more than your budget, good optics though.

Manual focus tele primes are also a possibility and likely the least expensive, almost guaranteed good optics.

Wildlife photography is sadly one of the most demanding areas when it comes to gear - good quality long focal length lenses cost a lot sadly. My advice would be to look at some options such as:

Nikon 300mm f4
Sigma 150-500mm OS/50-500mm/120-400mm

I know that they are options that will be doubling (maybe some more so in the US market, I don't know US prices all that well) your current budget, but sadly that is where long and quality is with regard to wildlife. If that is really pushing it too far you've got the 70-300mm zooms that Patrice has suggested which will get you a starting point (you can always beat focal length with good fieldcraft , which is essential to any wildlife photos and if you are really good you can get away with less sometimes).

Sometimes if you can save a little longer you can get something of significant quality - this would be one such area if the option is open to you.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back