lens suggestions?

msf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Im trying to decide on what lens' I should buy next, and I was hoping I could get everyone's feedback here.

I do a wide variety of photography. the main thing I do is church directories and general portraits. I also do indoor event/performance photography so a fast lens is useful. So far I have been using my 50/85 F1.8 prime lens'.

Also I want to do sports and car photography.

Right now, I have the 17-55mm kit lens for my rebel xt, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8 and 70-300 f-toslow.

The lens I use the most is the kit lens, I find the 50mm gets me in to close after the crop factor on my rebel xt and 20d. I know its not the best lens, but it gets the job done, and the only negative I see from it really is color fringing on white shirts on occasion.

Ive used the EF-s 17-55 f2.8 is, which I thought was ok, but rather heavy. I had a sore neck for a while after that. :)

I would like to stay away from the ef-s series if I can though, I plan to get a 5d series camera down the road.

The lens' Im considering for indoor portraits are:

EF 16-35 F2.8L but thats rather pricey.
EF 17-40 F4L is more my price range, but its also rather slow for indoor events. Plus no IS I believe.

I recently discovered the Canon 17-200 F3.5-5.5 lens, and the price is great. Its rather slow, but I love the range. Does anyone know how the image quality for this lens is? Ive also heard about the Tamron 17-280mm F3.5 lens, I wonder how the quality is of that lens.

I like doing nature photography when I have the time, but its more a hobby. Plus I want to do sports photography. I do have the Canon 70-300mm lens which isnt known for quality, but if you stay below the 200mm range, the quality isnt that bad. I noticed the other day the Canon 100-400 F4.5-5.6L IS lens, but again the price is a bit out of my range for the time being. Then today I noticed there is a Canon 100-300 lens that is a fraction of the cost. I am wondering how the image quality is of this as well. I know the extender things *not sure the proper name* that will allow me to multiply the lens by 1.4/2 degrade image quality slightly, and reduce the amount of light getting to the sensor, but one or two of those could make for a nice addition to the 100-300 lens. If my math is right, on a 1.6 crop body, it would similiate a 960mm lens, which could get me nice and close to the birds. : )

** So my question for everone is, what are everyone's experience with the Canon 17-200 / tamron 17-270, and with the Canon 100-300 lens'.

Also if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to share.

I do have two camera bodies, so one idea I had was to just use two primes for the indoor stuff. Perhaps buy the 20mm prime for one camera, and use the 50 on the other. I dont exactly trust the focusing on my 50mm 1.8 though, it doesnt always seem to be reliable.

And for the car photography, I was thinking of either the EF-s 10-22 F3.5-4.5 but thats the ef-s series, or just get a Ef 14mm prime.

Try this site... Canon Digital SLR Camera & Lens Reviews
My suggestion would be the 70-200 2.8. Its got a price tag to it but well worth it and versitle enough to use for sports, nature, portraits etc...I have rushed to get new lenses and settled for less than what I really wanted and was never satisfied. I have learned to be patient and save for what I really wanted/needed. In the long run it worked out alot better.

Canon EF 14mm f2.8L
Canon EF 20mm f2.8
Canon EF 28mm f2.8

Canon EF 200mm f2.8L
Canon EF 300mm f2.8L

Most reactions

Back