Lens suggestions

Manyak

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm about to pull the trigger on a set of lenses for (mainly) a 5DII, and need some opinions. These are the ones I'm thinking of getting, but if you've got some other recommendations I'd like to hear them :).

1) A general-purpose zoom lens, basically for walking around with. I think this one's gonna be the 24-70/2.8, but the lack of IS is a bit of a turn-off. So I'm also considering the 24-105/4 IS, just because of the convenience of the added focal range and IS. I'll probably use this lens the most, so if you've got a better option than either of these I'm all ears :).

2) A wide angle lens for landscape shots. Here, I'm torn between the Zeiss Distagon 21mm f/2.8 and Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II. The Zeiss has slightly better IQ and costs a bit less, but the Canon does tilt/shift and is still nearly as good.

3) One telephoto zoom lens. I'm thinking Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L II IS.

4) A portrait lens, either 50mm or 85mm prime, and don't really care which because I can work with both just fine (though 50mm is probably better if all other things are equal). It basically comes down to whichever specific lens will give the best picture, and there are just way too many options for me to pick one myself lol.

5) Finally, a focal length extender. I haven't looked into these much, so if there's any third-party extender that's better than Canon's let me know :)

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

Wow, you are looking to spend a good bit of money. :)

1) Both are known to be great lenses, although the size & weight of the 24-70mm might be an issue for a 'walk around' lens. It's nickname is 'The Brick' for good reason. The 5DII has very good high ISO performance, more than enough to make up for the one stop difference between the lenses...unless of course you are looking for the shallow DOF of F2.8 over F4...but it sounds like you'll have a fast prime to make up for that.

2) I know nothing of the Zeiss Distagon 21mm and not much about the T/S. The usual suggestions for wide landscape lenses are the 16-35mm F2.8 L or the 17-40mm F4L.

3) Hard to go wrong with that lens...but again, it's a big heavy lens, so be prepared for that. The F4 version is smaller & lighter.

I'll let others chime on the others.

I really don't mind heavy, I'm pretty used to walking around with a 10lb laptop strapped to my shoulder so this is nothing.

And I'll look into those other wide lenses too, thanks :)

Just need some help with getting good portrait prime now.

If you definitely are getting the 70-200 f2.8, I would buy the 24-70. I have this lens, and it makes really fine images with the 5Dmii. Since you mention the weight is not an issue, that also makes this a good decision. I do not feel the weight either, and I sometimes spend 6 hours out with it.
Sometimes it focuses so fast I do not even notice it.

Good luck with the potential purchases, it seems you are soon to have a nice(r) collection of lenses.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back