Lens suggestions?

mattman3680

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I am looking into buying a new macro lens. This will be for a Nikon D50. What would be a good macro lens to get. I was thinking along the line of a 60mm. Also what are the main differences betwee a 60mm and a 100mm?

Thanks,

Matt

the longer the lens, the better. A 105mm macro will still focus down to 1:1, but you'll be further away, giving your subject space.

I suggest the 105mm f/2.8 Micro-Nikkor or the 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro-Nikkor.

what i will be taking pictures of will be fish and corals, so if i went with a 60mm lens how close would i have to be? Also can a 60mm get a closer picture of the subject?

Matt

what i will be taking pictures of will be fish and corals, so if i went with a 60mm lens how close would i have to be? Also can a 60mm get a closer picture of the subject?

Matt

Check the specs, they usually have a min focusing distance. This is the distance that the max magnification is defined. For example this Sigma lense gets you 1:1 magnification at about a foot. For fish sized objects you'll probably be using like 1:3, which will be 3 feet working distance.

I have a 100mm lens, its a promaster and i couldn't get that close to the corals. Would a brand of lens make that much difference because i know promaster is not one of the best on the market!

Thanks,

Matt

"the longer the lens, the better." Not true otherwise all macro lenses would be 8000mm or bigger..
The smaller focal length lenses (50mm 80mm etc) will focus closer to the camera. As a rule, the quality will be better for a cheaper price. And they will be lighter and easier to handle.
If you are looking to make an image at a fixed distance (Inside a tank). You will have to find the lens that focuses at that distance, and at that distance gives a reproduction ratio that you want. But you will need to start looking at lenses well above 50 - 80mm.
Find which Ratio you need 1:1 is really good, but you may not need it to be so big. Also if the tank is 3 feet from front to back and that is where you will need to focus, then a large and expensive lens will be needed for 1:1.
I take pictures of my tropical fresh water fish in a 110 imp Gallon tank that is 2 feet from front to back. I use a Sigma f2.8 105mm EX DG Macro lens, and am very happy with the results. I only get 1:1 at about 0.3" But to be honest I don't really need 1:1 with a 6" Angel fish...
Measure the back to the front distance of your tank. And go to your local Camera shop. Tell them that you want a good quality macro lens that will focus at this range ( bear in mind that you will not always be photographing items on the back wall of the tank). Also, if you know what reproduction ratio you want (You may be photographing Daphnia and nematodes for all I know in which case 1:1 will be VERY important, you can tell them that as well.
You should be given a few alternatives and a chance to fit them to your camera and try them in the shop... Then you can see which one you prefer.
If you arn't given the chance to play a little. Bid the assistant a fond and cheery "Farewell", then walk out of the shop, and into the next one. There are plenty of camera shops, all feelin the pinch from online sellers. and most will be only too willing to provide the one thing that online sellers can't ... Service and advice.

I am taking pictures of corals and fish most not being too large. The tank is 18" from front to back. I would like to be able to get pictures that show great detail of the coral/fish! What does 1:1 mean?

Matt

I would go for the 105mm f/2.8 VR. VR is very useful and the minimum focus range is around 5-6'' if I'm not mistaken, so you should be able to get REALLY close. I am about to order one for myself.

Ok thanks, i was looking at the sigma lens, and really like what i found on the internet... Ill show you what i want to be able to do with the macro lens, the pic below is one that I took with my 100mm lens and instead of having more than one polyp i would just like to have one of them with much more detail. Also what does 1:1 mean?

Thanks,

Matt

Most reactions

New Topics

Back