Lens to rent for travel: 24-105 or 28-300?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Laser180481, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Laser180481

Laser180481 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Traveling to Ecuador next month so I plan on renting a quality Canon "L" series lens to take with me. I'm considering the 24-105mm or the 28-300mm and was looking for recommendations.

I hear the 28-300 will get pretty heavy as I walk around but I thought the extra reach would be nice at some times. I'll be visiting the Galapagos, so I'd like to get close ups of some of the wildlife - namely turtles, lizards, birds, penguins, and boobies.

For those of you who know, how big is the 28-300?

Cheers.
  2. BTilson

BTilson New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Haha, right on! I like to take pictures of boobies too! :lmao: Sorry, couldn't resist!

Now to be serious, I don't know how big the 28-300 is, but for a single walkaround lens, I'd definitely think it would be nice to have that extra reach. 105mm isn't really that long of a reach, even on a crop body.
  3. soylentgreen

soylentgreen New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    If wildlife is your main subject, get the reach with either a 28-300 or 100-400L (a bit lighter). You are probably not going to get too close to those boobies. :mrgreen: For everyday snaps and sunrises, sunsets, landscapes; the stock lens will do. You usually stop down anyway unless you go PJ style and need the large aperature. Ideally get both. I got the 24-105 for my cruise but no wildlife was involved, just boobies.
  4. Laser180481

Laser180481 New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Let me clarify, boobies will certainly be the focus of this expedition. So far I've been hearing that reach is good. Anyone else?
  5. Pure

Pure New Member

Gallery:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0