Lens to rent for travel: 24-105 or 28-300?

Laser180481

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Traveling to Ecuador next month so I plan on renting a quality Canon "L" series lens to take with me. I'm considering the 24-105mm or the 28-300mm and was looking for recommendations.

I hear the 28-300 will get pretty heavy as I walk around but I thought the extra reach would be nice at some times. I'll be visiting the Galapagos, so I'd like to get close ups of some of the wildlife - namely turtles, lizards, birds, penguins, and boobies.

For those of you who know, how big is the 28-300?

Cheers.

I'd like to get close ups of...boobies.

Haha, right on! I like to take pictures of boobies too! :lmao: Sorry, couldn't resist!

Now to be serious, I don't know how big the 28-300 is, but for a single walkaround lens, I'd definitely think it would be nice to have that extra reach. 105mm isn't really that long of a reach, even on a crop body.

If wildlife is your main subject, get the reach with either a 28-300 or 100-400L (a bit lighter). You are probably not going to get too close to those boobies. :mrgreen: For everyday snaps and sunrises, sunsets, landscapes; the stock lens will do. You usually stop down anyway unless you go PJ style and need the large aperature. Ideally get both. I got the 24-105 for my cruise but no wildlife was involved, just boobies.

Let me clarify, boobies will certainly be the focus of this expedition. So far I've been hearing that reach is good. Anyone else?

Most reactions

Back