Lens Trouble

I have a Vivitar zoom lens (100-300). It's not the best lens but it's OK. Maybe a little soft when fully zoomed out but otherwise a decent lens. If you get a good price, it could be a good purchase.

IMO, I am not a big fan of the huge range zoom lenses. The experiance I have had is of not being real great lens quality. The sharpness seems to suffer with that large of a focal range.

If it ends up being pretty cheap, maybe not bad to try.

p.s Vivitar wouldn't be my first choice for an after market lens. Maybe look for a Sigma.

Try a few user reviews of something that sounds similar:

http://www.photographyreview.com/pscLenses/35mm,Zoom/Vivitar/PRD_85175_3128crx.aspx#reviews

Personally, I found that when these wide range zooms first came out they weighed a ton, and tended to be fiddly to use.

It is very cheap though, so even if it is junk you can always give it to a charity shop.

But if you want a zoom range that will last you a long time, I would seek out 2 lenses, maybe a 28-85, and a 100-200. And yes, that misses out a few millimetres, but it may be just as light as the vivitar, and will be easier to control. You could even go for a rokkor 28-100 ish, and get a 2x teleconverter. Much lighter, and probably optically as good.

A hint: Dont look for lenses, seek out ebay sellers who are selling complete outfits. 6 days ago I bought a silver Minny X300 for about 42 dollars, with a 50mm prime lens. I wanted zoom, so 2 days ago I paid another...? 100 dollars to get a Minolta 24-70, a minolta 100-200, and a cobra flashgun. The fact that it was sold as a kit, with a black X300 and a large camera bag is a real bonus. And if the black body doesn't work, np, I will keep it as spares or throw it away. (The silver/black one is amazing, I have run a film through it, and it makes me regret buying myself a second digital camera for Christmas, it is so sharp.)

Most reactions

Back