Lens Upgrade for Nikon D90

Phil86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the forum and looking for some suggestions for upgrading my kit lens.
Currently I have 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lens which came with the camera. I have started taking a photography course which I am really enjoying and looking so upgrade my lens.

I am wanting to get a better walk around lens. I mainly use it for taking photos of the family when we are out and about and some landscapes when we are out walking. We do a lot of skiing and I love getting shots of the mountains.

One suggestion I have been given is a 24-105mm lens. Reading online there is so much to choose from I don't know where to start. (one suggestion I found online as a starting lens was a Sigma 18-35 f1.8) I don't have the biggest of budgets so I want to make the right choice, I'm looking to spend 300/400. I'm looking at both new and second hand.

Another suggestion I have seen on a lot of websites is the "nifty 50". Is it worth having one of these in the bag when we go out on an evening. With bonfire night/ Winter around the corner is it worth getting one of these for shooting in low light.(As I said before my budget is only small but could add this to the Christmas list...)

Thanks for any tips and advise

Phil

Before you buy, what exactly do you want to improve, it's not very clear what your needs are?

Once again, not clear. You state a walkaround lens for family and landscapes.

What focal lengths are you currently using with your 18-55 and 55-200 lenses?
Once you know the focal lengths that you are commonly using then you'll have a better understanding of your needs for focal length and a better answer can be given.

For instance, if you are always at 18mm but need something wider then I wouldn't recommend anything that starts at 24mm. Or if you are never using the 18-55 and always the longer end of the 55-200, then we would have a better idea of what to recommend.

But I'm assuming you are looking to merge the 18-55 and 55-200 to one single lens such as a 18-200 ? they do make a 18-200 lens, and also a 18-300 lens. They are nice for one, single lens but give up a bit on the crisp detail images at certain focal lengths.

Hi Jaomul, I will mainly be shooting outside when I am out and about. I don't like swapping lenses all the time so Im looking for something I can take with me and not worry about conditions so much (if that is possible) My 18-55 suits most of my needs but sometimes I struggle when we it starts to get darker without really pushing up the ISO or slowing the shutter. Slowing the shutter is a little harder when taking photos of the children. Should I be looking for something with a constant max aperture?
As I said before I very rarely use the 50-200 lens which is why I was thinking of something in the middle to replace both 24-105 was a recommendation from a friend.
I want to add a little more quality to the images, make them a little more crisp (maybe that is down to me and not the kit lens)
Looking at prices of my 18-55 you can pick them up for about £50 so I was thinking maybe its not the greatest lens.

Hope this make sense?

Thanks astroNikon for the reply, this is all relatively new to me. I've messed around with my camera for the last couple of years without really getting to grips with it. I booked myself on a course at a local photography studio and feel I am really getting a lot out of it. Since moving into manual / aperture priority mode I feel a lot more in control of what I am shooting. The downside to this I don't really know what focal length I usually stick to. I will make a note of that when I go out next time to practise but I do tend to take pictures across the full focal range and then check them out in photoshop to see what I like best.
Generally I leave the 50-200 in the bag, I only really use this if I am trying to shoot something I cant move closer too. I have played with it when doing portraits in the class but I like the 18-55 better to get a little more in the background.
I do find shooting in low light a lot harder on my kit lens which is why I was thinking of something with a wider aperture to allow me to shoot in lower light conditions.

The problem is there is no do it all lens. I don't recommend that you buy a 24-105 because 24 is not a very wide staring point on a d90.

If you find the 18-55 does you until it gets darker I'd recommend a sigma 17-50mm os f2.8. it's a good lens and between about one and two stops faster than your kit lens depending on your focal length.

If it's a lens that covers a lot the Nikon 18-105mm vr is great on a d90 and not very expensive. It does not however solve your low light issue, but if you sold your existing lenses and bought a 18-105 you could add a 35mm f1.8 or a 50 f1.8, maybe even both, within budget and have your zoom for day to day and your primes for low light

I think what people are saying is that what you have sounds about right for your application. If you don't know what your current equipment fails to do that you need to do, then there is no need do anything until you do know. I agree with them. You want someone to certify your desire for a new lens and only you can do that.

I think what people are saying is that what you have sounds about right for your application. If you don't know what your current equipment fails to do that you need to do, then there is no need do anything until you do know. I agree with them. You want someone to certify your desire for a new lens and only you can do that.

I think OP explained quite clearly what they require once they were asked

if the 18-55 covers most of what you are shooting but struggles in low light, then what you need is a faster version.
pretty much everyone makes an f2.8 version of that lens in some form or another.
tamron and sigma are a good third party choice if you dont want to spend the big bucks on the nikon version.
the older non-vr versions can be had pretty cheap now, and even the newer VR versions are reasonably priced used.
another fast lens alternative if you find yourself shooting around the lower focal lengths of that lens in low light would be sigmas 18-35 f/1.8 lens.
not as much focal range, but a very wide aperture.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

I think OP explained quite clearly what they require once they were asked
Thanks for sharing that.

I would add the 35mm f/1.8 DX G and the 50mm f/1.8 G lenses. You want a lens for walking around with friends and around the campfire - the 35mm. For portrait shots at the photography course at the studio the 50mm. That stays in your budget, gives you a faster lens option over the zooms, sharp enough for most needs.

I would start by just picking up one of the two. You need to use it long enough so you know ahead of time where the person needs to be and where you need to be so you can frame the image how you want. You can try this out now by just setting your zoom lens and not touching the zoom ring the rest of the day, use your feet (and dream about the extra three stops of light).

Another option, pick up a Nikon SB-700 flash unit, its in the budget, and going with bounce or off camera flash will fix any issues with low light and the kit lens. It will also work great in Commander mode with the D90.

Thanks Dave 442. I've never played with the flash units before. I very rarely use the built in flash. I will have a look at the 35mm. I think from reading most of the replies I should maybe stick with the kit lens until I start to improve. I was just thinking maybe new glass would help to improve the image quality on my journey.

Thanks pixmedic,
I will have a look at third party lens too. Looking at some of the other posts these are just as good if not better than the Nikon lens. I still have so much to learn and really enjoying the journey so far.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back