Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, I'm new here and reasonably new to photography. I want to upgrade my current lens which came with my kit (18-55mm and 70-300mm). I shoot alot of motorsports events, specifically racing. I have had great success with my 70-300mm and don't use my 18-55mm too often. Any recommendations that won't break the bank? I would love to hear any feedback. You can check out some of my work at www.annettebauerphotography.shootproof.com for an example of my work.
Thanks,
Annette

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Just been looking at your site and I think there are some fantastic shots on there.

Wondering why you think you need to upgrade? What is it that your current lens/es are not doing for you?

With the 70-300mm that you have, it looks like it's doing the job very well.

As a beginner wanting to upgrade, are you thinking that somewhere along the lines if you upgrade the lens, the pictures will be better?

My advice would be to stick with the two that you have, then work out why you think you need to upgrade? You might already know why you want to upgrade, but, you haven't said why :)

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

Just been looking at your site and I think there are some fantastic shots on there.

Wondering why you think you need to upgrade? What is it that your current lens/es are not doing for you?

With the 70-300mm that you have, it looks like it's doing the job very well.

As a beginner wanting to upgrade, are you thinking that somewhere along the lines if you upgrade the lens, the pictures will be better?

My advice would be to stick with the two that you have, then work out why you think you need to upgrade? You might already know why you want to upgrade, but, you haven't said why :)

Hi! Thank you!

I guess I just thought I was missing something, as a relatively new photographer, I wasn't sure if there was a better option out there. I do not do a lot of up close photography, but will do some in the future (specifically scheduled photo shoots of cars/motorcycles). I was considering the 35mm or 50mm but had also seen the 85mm. I certainly do not want to invest in something I will not use or that will work as effectively as what I already have. I am a details person and I look for the things that most people miss, or don't deem as important. Not only am I a fan of racing, but I race myself so I have a fair idea of what "gear heads" would like to see. You know... what is beautiful to them isn't always to the general public. :) I truly appreciate the welcome and wonderful comments! I encourage all the feedback, constructive of course!

Annette

You know... what is beautiful to them isn't always to the general public.
You might be surprised. This being a photography enthusiast site, we mostly appreciate good photography no matter what the subject material.

Hi! Thank you!

I guess I just thought I was missing something, as a relatively new photographer, I wasn't sure if there was a better option out there. I do not do a lot of up close photography, but will do some in the future (specifically scheduled photo shoots of cars/motorcycles). I was considering the 35mm or 50mm but had also seen the 85mm. I certainly do not want to invest in something I will not use or that will work as effectively as what I already have. I am a details person and I look for the things that most people miss, or don't deem as important. Not only am I a fan of racing, but I race myself so I have a fair idea of what "gear heads" would like to see. You know... what is beautiful to them isn't always to the general public. :) I truly appreciate the welcome and wonderful comments! I encourage all the feedback, constructive of course!

Annette

If you're thinking of the fixed focal lengths (prime lenses) then a good way is to challenge yourself by keeping your zoom lens on that particular focal length for a day or so. See how you feel using 50mm all day and see if it's of any use to you.

But judging by your photos on your site, it'd be a breeze for you as you've got some nicely detailed, up-close shots with the corners of the motorcycles, for example.

See how you get on ;)

I'm not sure what your "won't break the bank" limit would be. It looks like you are shooting in the day so you could consider some longer glass, something like the 300mm f/4.

I'm not sure what your "won't break the bank" limit would be. It looks like you are shooting in the day so you could consider some longer glass, something like the 300mm f/4.

Thank you! I will take a look at that! I have not learned the art of shooting at night, its on "the list". :)

The f/4 is not a good lens to shoot action/sports at night or in low level lighting but daytime, it could prove to be really good.

The f/4 is not a good lens to shoot action/sports at night or in low level lighting but daytime, it could prove to be really good.

Ok good to know. I am looking to broaden my scope with still shots too, but action shots are really my passion! :) Any recommendations for night shooting? I have an external flash, but definitely have not figured out how to make that work. :(

For night stuff you will need constant f-stops of 2.8 (Or faster). But just a warning, typically the faster the glass (f/2.8 or smaller) the more expensive it is to build and will cost you.

Personally I'd never try to shoot a race itself with a prime lens. In the pits perhaps, but not the race itself. Race tracks are fluid, everything is in motion. I'm not going to lock myself into having one focal length requiring me to stand in one place to be able to properly frame something in exactly one place on the track. I want far more flexibility than that.

My two go-to lenses for races are the Nikon 70-300 and Sigma 17-70.

Personally I'd never try to shoot a race itself with a prime lens. In the pits perhaps, but not the race itself. Race tracks are fluid, everything is in motion. I'm not going to lock myself into having one focal length requiring me to stand in one place to be able to properly frame something in exactly one place on the track. I want far more flexibility than that.

My two go-to lenses for races are the Nikon 70-300 and Sigma 17-70.

I completely agree with you and religiously use my 70-300 with great success for all my action shots and even some stills! I want to have versatility with still (setting style) shoots also. Perhaps my 18-55 will do that efficiently, but if there is a more versatile option I'd like to at least consider it. Ya know? I feel like my 18-55 limits me and tend to use my 70-300 primarily.

How do you like the Sigma 17-70? I don't know anything about that lens.

I really like the Sigma 17-70. I've had it about 5 years, and it's a very good lens in my opinion. I recently purchased the Sigma 18-300 and while it's not quite as sharp as either the Sigma 17-70 or the Nikon 70-300 it's nice to not have to carry 2 lenses or 2 cameras with 2 lenses.

All of the photos at Beech Bend raceway (see the "Motorsports" in the "Galleries" section of the web site in my signature) this year were shot with the Sigma 17-70.

I really like the Sigma 17-70. I've had it about 5 years, and it's a very good lens in my opinion. I recently purchased the Sigma 18-300 and while it's not quite as sharp as either the Sigma 17-70 or the Nikon 70-300 it's nice to not have to carry 2 lenses or 2 cameras with 2 lenses.

All of the photos at Beech Bend raceway (see the "Motorsports" in the "Galleries" section of the web site in my signature) this year were shot with the Sigma 17-70.

How close were you? I typically shoot from before the 60' mark or closer to 1/8 mile.

Most reactions

Back