Lens Whacking

eyekyu

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Anyone try this technique?

I got bored and wanted to try it. I actually enjoy the outcome, yeah yeah the sensor blah blah lol... I can also get close to the same look via post.

[video=vimeo;39913469]http://vimeo.com/39913469[/video]

When a cameras lens is fixed firmly to a camera the only light falling on the sensor is through the lens. Thats great most of the time and when you want something different you can either add effects, layers, overlays in post. Or you can remove your entire lens
http://philipbloom.net/2012/02/01/the-art-of-lens-whacking-real-lights-leaks-and-ones-done-in-post/

Last edited:
I have no idea what you mean by whacking !?

To me it looks like you are focussing and defocussing again periodically all the time ... very annoying :p And you seem to get some annoying flare from somewhere.

[...] looked it up now, for some inexplicable reason some people refer to filming with a detached lens as "lens whacking". Now I understand your sensor comment ;). In short, I do not like the effect, as it creates no other feelings than "there is something wrong with either the camera or the person filming".

Maybe others might feel different though.

BTW, if you sensor got really dirty now, send your camera over, I am good at cleaning sensors :p

lol, shippin to europe can't be cheap haha

but yeh i prob should of explained what lens whacking was

to be honest, I saw some other videos now, where the technique was applied. And I actually did like it much more. The effect was much more hidden there, and less hectic ;)

very cool, I'm also using stock lens which isn't recommend. i plan on buying a "smaller" lens that won't fit my canon :) and retry again

Thank you so much for posting this! It might be the perfect technique to use for a project that I'm starting in a few weeks!

I saw the videos you linked to and had to give it a try straight away on some stills, I don't a a video capable DSLR. Coincidentally I have the lens which they seem to think is best, the Nikon E Series 50mm, so that was lucky!

View attachment 6123

I've posted this elsewhere; it's the only image I have that's reasonably sized. I like the way it lets you get light leak on a digital camera. I have plenty more. It just seems to me a much more convincing way to get the film-esque look!

I think it works best when outdoors, you get the sun interfering more and it doesn't look as out-of-focus.

awesome, i haven't had a chance to try it on stills but very cool. glad someone can benefit from this.
def post some more pics

Interesting effect and idea on recreating film appearance (though should film be remembered as flawed always with light leaks? ;)).

Don't think I'd be strongly tempted to use the method myself (I've enough problems with dust without shooting with the lens off the camera) though its kind of reminds me of holding a 2* teleconverter backward infront of the MPE65mm to regain near infinity focus on the lens.

Interesting effect and idea on recreating film appearance (though should film be remembered as flawed always with light leaks? ;)).

Don't think I'd be strongly tempted to use the method myself (I've enough problems with dust without shooting with the lens off the camera) though its kind of reminds me of holding a 2* teleconverter backward infront of the MPE65mm to regain near infinity focus on the lens.

I wasn't going to try it but I've been asked to do a short film using stills and I couldn't think of a way to make a nice clean looking movie if it's going to be all jerky running at 15fps. I thought I might as well make it all hip and indie looking because that stuff's all 'organic and free', then I came across this thread!

Good choice of song. Interesting effect. Hopefully it's worth the dust on the sensor :D

Good choice of song. Interesting effect. Hopefully it's worth the dust on the sensor :D

$sky (37 of 42).jpg

That's what mine looked like after a while. It's been blow-cleaned since then but I'm thinking it needs a wet clean! That was only at f/16 , it'd probably look a lot worse if I closed it down to f/32!

you know whats crazy, i think its more a "trend" i bet someone made some kind of effect thats cost, and you get it for free :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back