Lens with good bokeh

~myStical~

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
For a nikon D40 ...I'm looking for an lens under $300 (if possible)... that will allow me to have blurred backgrounds(bokeh) without being too close to the subject..for portraits , fashion shoot...

any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

First - I know nothing about Nikon lenses...

But - The thing that affect bokeh the most is the number of aperture blades. More is better. (More=Rounder)

Also, if the edge of the blades are curved (that usually won't be specified in the specs), that helps too.

Sorry. You need a lens that can go to f/0.2.

Bahaha. Just kidding. Ditto on the number of aperture blades, though nine usually produces quite creamy bokeh. If you meant f-stops, try to get something with a constant aperture of f/2.8.

Sorry. You need a lens that can go to f/0.2.

Bahaha. Just kidding. Ditto on the number of aperture blades, though nine usually produces quite creamy bokeh. If you meant f-stops, try to get something with a constant aperture of f/2.8.

yes, i meant f-stop
fast lens

If you're on a crop body, I'd suggest looking for a decent 50mm fixed lens. I didn't see the price tag until just now. Point is, you won't find glass (with zoomable goodness) with a constant f/2.8 for under $300.

I have a Nikon 35mm f/1.8G lens for my D60 and it produces good bokeh. Here's an example:

Another_Day_by_Sick_of_Air.jpg

That was shot at f/2.8 and 1/60 second. On Wolf Camera it is $209.99 plus tax but free shipping. On B&H Photo it is $199.95 plus shipping but no tax. On B&H it is currently backordered. It might be on Wolf Camera as well, it was when I ordered it.

For a nikon D40 ...I'm looking for an lens under $300 (if possible)... that will allow me to have blurred backgrounds(bokeh) without being too close to the subject..for portraits , fashion shoot...

any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
You need to understand Depth Of Field too.

Understanding Depth Of Field

Depth Of Field In Photography

Examples For Understanding Depth Of Field

You are (no exaggeration) the best poster around here.

The blur in the background is cause by having a lower number for your f-stop. As far as what "bokeh" is, its a type of sushi. No, seriously, it refers to the type of blur the background has. People get very serious about their photos, and even the background blur has to look good to them. IMO bokeh is an intermediate to advanced concept. I'd work on just taking some sound photos with the blurry background first, and then worry about what the blur looks like.

And like I said, AWESOME WORK SAMANAX!!!

IMO bokeh is an intermediate to advanced concept. I'd work on just taking some sound photos with the blurry background first, and then worry about what the blur looks like.

Bokeh IS the blur. There is not a "method" you can use to make it better. You can't "learn" bokeh. It's just something that happens.

It is completely dependant on the lens. ...Some lenses have "good" bokeh, others have "bad" bokeh.

As far as bokeh goes, bad=ugly.

But you can learn to effectively use bokeh.

And the word bokeh in Japanease literally means "fuzzy", like the kind of fuzzy that comes with being old and senile.

For portrait type shots, a fast telephoto prime lens is good tool for creating creamy blur background photos.

i.e. 85mm F/1.8 lens

Bokeh IS the blur. There is not a "method" you can use to make it better. You can't "learn" bokeh. It's just something that happens.

It is completely dependant on the lens. ...Some lenses have "good" bokeh, others have "bad" bokeh.

As far as bokeh goes, bad=ugly.

I am fully aware of what bokeh is. Its not the blur itself, it refers to the quality of blur. And my point was to not get caught up on what the bokeh (just call it background blur) looks like, and focus on taking good, compositionally-sound shots.

the word bokeh in Japanease literally means "fuzzy"

Sounds suspiciously like "out of focus"...

Like I said - it's just something that happens. You can't (other than aperture - controlling DOF) control it.

It's always there. Whether it is good or bad depends on the lens you are using. Good=pretty; Bad=ugly.

It's that simple.

There is nothing you can learn to "master bokeh". That would be like me saying that I only shoot f/5.6, 1/200 sec - and I just make the light right where ever I happen to be.

It just happens.

Its not the blur itself, it refers to the quality of blur.

Exactly what I have been saying the whole time.

It is just a decription of how good the background blur looks.

the word bokeh in Japanease literally means "fuzzy"

Sounds suspiciously like "out of focus"...

Like I said - it's just something that happens. You can't (other than aperture - controlling DOF) control it.

It's always there. Whether it is good or bad depends on the lens you are using. Good=pretty; Bad=ugly.

It's that simple.

There is nothing you can learn to "master bokeh". That would be like me saying that I only shoot f/5.6, 1/200 sec - and I just make the light right where ever I happen to be.

It just happens.

I still think it refers to the quality of blur, and not the blur itself. Its a measure of quality not an indication of presence. But that's just semantics.

But if it makes you feel better, you're right and I'm wrong :confused: But it wasn't even the point anyway.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back