Lens Work with Nikon D40?

Richard

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.raeelle.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Does anyone know if a 50mm f/1.8D AF Nikkor lens will work on a D40. I don't mind if I have to use manual focus but will all other funtions work?

No, actually, auto focus will not work since the D40 has no focusing motor. Otherwise, everything should work perfectly.

It's a cheaper camera designed for AF-S lenses. Not much of a boo really unless you are a pro and need lenses not found in the AFS range.

I'm starting to think about bringing my D40 back and buying a D50, but I don't want to pay the restocking fee I believe it is 15%. I bought it at Circuit City does anyone know of a way around having to pay that?

I'm starting to think about bringing my D40 back and buying a D50, but I don't want to pay the restocking fee I believe it is 15%. I bought it at Circuit City does anyone know of a way around having to pay that?
Tell them its not working right and exchange it... Im sure they wouldnt mind you paying more money instead.

Well since a new Nikon is already out I hope they've included a focusing motor in this one rather than simply stuff in more pixels. The 50mm is not by any stretch of the imagination a lens that only "pros" would need.

This is only my second post so go easy ;)

I'm looking for a lens for my D40 with a greater focal length. Motorsport events these days don't let you very close to the action. Something about safety and 150mph cars or some such nonsense :grumpy: :p

As I'm new to the DSLR game I want a lens with full AF functionality so it needs a lens mounted AF motor. The only one I've come up with so far which is feasible is this one:

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/o/ASIN/B0009HN57Y/ref=s9_asin_image_2/026-3142893-3894018?%5Fencoding=UTF8&coliid=I1IHP1BHG235CD&colid=S4JE8BBET3PC[/ame]

It looks OK but it's only received mediocre reviews (slow AF and cheap build quality) and a similar priced Sigma one has a greater focal length and macro facility (although would only manual focus).

I hear Sigma lenses with HSM will work but they're too much money. I'm looking to spend between £100 and £200 ($200-$400 USD)

I know I'm not going to get a fantastic lens but then again I'm not a fantastic photographer! :blushing:

Are there any other lenses which would fit the bill from Tokina or Tamron? Or should I wait until 3rd party manufacturers start releaseing AF lenses for the D40 as it's clearly a volume model and will only sell more and more.

Thanks in advance :thumbup:

At your price range, there isn't any real choice other than the low end Nikkors. I think the 55-200 would be the way to go.

I've just heard back from Tamron and they don't do anything either. I think I might wait as they're all developing lenses for the D40.

Most reactions

Back