Lens

cjcharbonnet

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I recently got a Opteka 1300-2600 telephoto lens to go with my Nikon D-80 and when I use it no matter how much light the picture still comes out very dark, I am sure it just a setting, can someone tell me what settings I need to be on?

What are the settings on the camera? What mode are you in?

I Googled but couldn't find that exact lens. The smaller lenses I found had a high apertures of at least f8 and f11. I would suspect that one is even higher. Besides the camera settings, what is the specs for that lens? and are you using a 'kit' with a 2x converter?

Even on my quick search, I found nothing of value. Take it for what it's worth.... not a lot, but that doesn't mean you can't have a bit of fun with it.

The Opteka lenses are notoriously slow and clumbsy. You are likely going to have to jack up the exposure compensation and do not use that lens with the TC. The 2x TC that comes with it is a manual TC, What this means is your meter is not working with it properly as program modes are concerned. I do not believe that any communication is maintained between the body and the lens. With out that your camera has no aperture control resulting in random exsposures. it would seem to me that your camera is trying to shoot at 4 or 5.6 or wider on a lens only capable of f/8....under exposed because the body just did not know anybetter.

You can use this lens to it's fullest, but you have to do it manually and as a 650-1300. and not a 1300-2600.

@TwoRails: The reason you can't find it is because it is not a 1300-2600, it's a 650-1300 super tele zoom, often listed as "650-2600" super telephoto zoom lens. Opteka is just like Phonix that way.

To answer this question all one really needs is the experience of a fully manual TC. The TC is the culprit.

*EDIT*

Uppon further research, that lens with the TC on it is shooting at f/16......sorry but ain't nothing comming out of that with out atleast a 2s exposure.

Like I said before dump the TC and shoot at f/8, it still will not be an easy lens to use but it will be useable.

Last edited:
Yeah, Optekas are not known for high end quality and speed. It's likely a mirror lens. Famous for being slow, dark and distorted like heck... lol

At 2600 if you are at F/8 or F/11, that lens is basically useless for about anything except the brightest of days.

To put things in perspective a 500mm Nikkor costs 100 times more then a 500mm opteka ($8000 vs. $80)

At 1300-2600 you're talking about f22 to f32+

Most reactions

Back