lens!

1000DUser

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Guys i just bought the 50mm f/1.8mm a few months back, im looking into investing into a tamron 28-75 f2.8, heard the reviews were good , picture quality sharp or like tamron 17-55mm f2.8. does buying this kinda lens with a wide aperture defeat the purpose of having a prime lens? should i not waste my money and invest in this fast zooms and save em for better primes?

The main thing that I wouldn't like about that lens is the lack of IS.

I own the EF-S 17-55 2.8 IS, and its a great lens. Its also 2x the price of the Tamron, which may be an issue for you.

Hope this helps. :mrgreen:

I personally have the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. It is a fantastic lens. Not as good as the Canon EF-S 17-55mm IS lens because no IS and AF is not as fast. But it is half the cost of the Canon and it is quite sharp.

For cropped body, I prefer 17-50mm over the 28-75mm lens because 28mm with cropped body is not wide enough for me. And the standard zoom lens is not a replacement for the 50mm prime. It is a replacement of the standard kit lens. You can carry the 50mm prime together with your standard zoom lens.

As for IS or not, it really doesn't matter for the standard zoom lens, as least for me, as long as I am able to maintain a fast enough shutter speed. (Esp for the wide side) Of course, if we are talking about telephoto such as >200mm, it is good to have the IS.

Thanks for your response, why does the zoom lens not replace the prime? I mean it's aperture is about the same? 2,8 and 1.8, the pictures couldn't be that different? Does this mean I have to make up my mind and choose which one to bring along? Also do you use your 17-55m for landscape? If so, how does it perform with landscape? I was thinking of getting the 28-75 and a wide angle 11-16 tokina or 10-22 canon. Just an additional question, would you recommend the 28-75? Cause I dont think in indoor portrait I would use 75mm? So is it better off going with 17-55mm f.2 then I could also go for wide angles

Thanks for your response, why does the zoom lens not replace the prime? I mean it's aperture is about the same? 2,8 and 1.8, the pictures couldn't be that different? Does this mean I have to make up my mind and choose which one to bring along? Also do you use your 17-55m for landscape? If so, how does it perform with landscape? I was thinking of getting the 28-75 and a wide angle 11-16 tokina or 10-22 canon. Just an additional question, would you recommend the 28-75? Cause I dont think in indoor portrait I would use 75mm? So is it better off going with 17-55mm f.2 then I could also go for wide angles

There is a rather large difference in aperture between a 2.8 and a 1.8.

The closer you get to 1.0 the more of a difference it makes.

I believe f/1.8 and f/2.8 is 1 1/3 stops different.

So that could be 1/80 vs 1/30 shutter speed different. Or you maybe able to take a sharp photo vs blurry photo at 50mm.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back