Lense advice

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Jono, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Jono

Jono TPF Noob!

Looking at changing my long lense now that I am using it more and more. Currently only lenses I have to use on my 350D are the 18-55 kit lense and a Tamron 70 - 300. Both have served me well thus far, but the limitations are starting to show with more use and experience. Been looking at 2 today and unsure which one. They are:

Sigma 18 - 200 f3.5-f6.3 (used but as new for £120)
    Sigma 28 - 300 f3.5-f6.3 (new for £180)

70% of what I shoot is close quarters motorsport such as rallying and motorcycle road racing and a little track work.

Anyone used or have either of the above?
    if so what do you think of them?
    is there anything else better for the same sort of cost?

thanks in advance

2. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Those lenses are no better than the ones you have, both are very slow at 200/300 if your in a forest shooting rallying your going to be at iso800 + which bike tracks can you shoot at 200mm the only one i have been to is Darley Moor

3. benhasajeep

benhasajeep TPF Noob!

The only advantage of the lenses you listed is that you will not have to change between 2 you currently have. Other than that picture quality wise they are about the same level.

I would save up to get a truely better lens later on.

4. Jono

Jono TPF Noob!

mainly tarmac rallying and when I say motorcycle road racing, I mean on an actual road, so your the width of a pavement from the race bike going past (we still have these type of events in Northern Ireland). Thats what I was even considering a 200 as at most 170ish is the furthest distance.

Thanks for the comments, im looking at spending £200 tops, cant really justify any more at the minute.

5. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit

There might not be road racing in NI for much longer if the bloody safety people get thier way, I would save a bit more and look for a 70-200F4L

6. Jono

Jono TPF Noob!

theres been threats to stop it for the last 20 years, and there have been some courses stopped, but the big events (NW200, UGP etc) will go on for the forseeable.