Lense Fungus???

Fair enough.

All I'm saying is bring on the newbie questions.

If google had all the answers, we wouldn't need schools.

We learn best from interaction with each other.

The only one who said anything about google was the Vivarant, and I still say someone just pee'd in his lemonade. Maybe google just wasn't being nice to him and he took it out here. Either way, lens fungus sucks, and combat moisture.

And what I'm saying is perhaps this forum is doing the peeing.

In my photography class, the instructor told us "Mold loves glass." Since then, I keep a silica dehudifier tin in the cases where I store my lenses and the cameras too.

Thanks for the tip i think i'll be trying that too. I was thinking maybe this is reserved for people who do a lot of shooting in jungles or extremely moist climates but now i'm guessing it's where ever moisture is prevalent.

Thank you Vivarant for posing such an obviously newb question here in the BEGINNERS forum. My photographic knowledge has been enhanced by your participation here.

Keep' em coming!

Thanks poof will do! I got lots of 'em and thank goodness there are some here who are willing to help :hug::

I helped you more than anyone else here today by providing the broadest and most extensive information that is readily available on the Internet about lens fungus.

Quite a bit more information than you were willing to seek on your own hook.

I even checked out a couple of other resources, but decide they weren't extensive enough before providing the link to Google

That's ok though.

Don't worry. I won't participate in any of your threads again.

Move to the Rocky Mountains or southwest & you can forget about having to store your lenses with a desiccant ;)

I've seen now several times ads for lenses with "no fungus". I never knew lenses could develop fungus. Can you tell me how and why this would occur and what if anything do you do to prevent it

Two words for you: Southeast Asia.

Photo gear that has been owned or used in that area of the world ** often **
develops fungus growth. If you've ever hung out on any of the photo forums where any significant number of photogs from that area congregate, you'll see and hear about numerous terrible examples of fungus problems.

I say do not worry about it too much. :)

I'm *definitely* going out after work to get a silica gel pack to throw in my case, but did I make a *severe* mistake by taking the camera hiking with me, or is this one of those "It wasn't a good idea, but you're fine... just don't do it again." kind of scenarios????

As someones signature I saw says, "You miss 100% of the shots you never take"

I would think if you make sure that you clean it and keep it moisture free when storing it, you'll be fine. But I am with you ont he silica packs as well. Better safe than sorry.

I say do not worry about it too much. :)

haha okay.. :) I'm *still* gonna get the silica gel pack after work... I mean it never hurts to err on the side of caution, right? At least for future hiking trips... :lol:

Well, at least don't worry about hiking with your camera. Talks about moisture build up ... going in and out a air conditioned place may have more moisture build up with your gears than hiking. (like eye glasses fog up when leaving a air conditioned department store to the outside when humidity is relatively high outside)

In my photography class, the instructor told us "Mold loves glass." Since then, I keep a silica dehudifier tin in the cases where I store my lenses and the cameras too.

Thats not a bad idea. I don't know how much it will help, but I guess any bit of moisture it reduces isn't a bad thing. I am not sure I have ever seen a tin. I have seen the little "do not eat" packets.

This is what he's talking about:

Pelican | Silica Gel | 1500-500-000 | B&H Photo Video

They turn pink when they cannot absorb any more moisture. You then put 'em in the oven, follow the directions on the packaging, and they're good to go again. You can do that over and over.

Yep, that's it. I got many of them, not only for cameras and lenses but for other (properly stored) equipment, both metal and glass. Never had a spot of rust or mold. They contain more silica than the little packaging packets, so they absorb more moisture and last longer. And, as Kmh wrote, you can bake them when they turn pink (watch out for that change) and reuse them.

I don't know what is being used in these days of synthetics, but years ago, lens elements were cemented together with a product knows as "Canadian Balsam." It was extremely thick, clear as glass, faintly yellow, and had nearly the same refractive index as optical glass. However, it was an organic compound and could grow fungus, too.

Most reactions

Back