Lense quality - Canon, Sigma, Tamron

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by juju, Oct 8, 2007.

1. juju

juju TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi,

ive noticed lately some really really nice pics taken with Sigma and Tamron lenses.

not sure why but for my Eos 400D ive always bought canon lenses as i assumed they would be the better choice. is this necessarily the case or do Sigma and Tamron lenses for Canon cameras perform just aswell cause ive noticed i could save a few quid on an upcoming purchase

2. Zatodragon

Zatodragon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Both Sigma and Tamron make some awesome lenses that can perform just as good as the Canon version for a much more reasonable price. But just like canon, they also make some not as good lenses.

If you get nit-picky about it, you really have to look at lens for lens. Sometimes the canon comes out sharper, sometimes the sigma. But i would never worry about a Sigma or Tampon or even Tokina not performing well. I've been very happy with a friends sigma 17-80 f/2.8-4 macro. Incredible lens for the price.

3. keith204

keith204 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Definitely look at it lens-for lens. Do your research, read reviews, if you're about to buy a lens ask about it here, and go hold the lenses.

4. Sideburns

Sideburns TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    It goes lens by lens. Some are awesome, some are not so awesome. Everyone makes good and bad. Just read reviews and see what people on here have found.

5. Seefutlung

Seefutlung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Generally speaking, the Pro-Level lenses from Sigma, Tokina and Tamron all have about the same IQ/resolution as a Pro-Level lens from Canon (L series). Typically, a Canon L lens will cost a ton more, but they are generally much better built and may focus just a fraction of a second faster.

The better construction comes to play if you are shooting like a a news photog, everyday, in all types of dirty environments and in situations where the image is more important than the equipment.

Under normal use, 3rd party lenses are just fine and will out live your camera body. Go to www.photozone.de for an independant lab analysis of lenses.

Gary

6. ann

ann No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    why not take your camera body to a store and test the lenses for yourself, on your camera. take the card home and review on your monitor.

if you can tell which lens make the image you will have your answer.

I would test each focal length. wide open and stopped down.

7. usayit

usayit No longer a newbie, moving up!

North New Jersey, United States of America
    Photos OK to edit
    It is also important to note that none of the camera manufacturers have actually made the lens' interface public. All of the third party manufacturers all rely on reverse engineering to make their lenses compatible with later AF SLR cameras.

With that said... the third party vendors have done a wonderful job of making sure their lenses are compatible with the latest camera bodies. At times, you'll see that a rechipping is required to fix some sort of compatiblity issue. Sigma is an example as they recently have started rechipping their lenses for better compatibility with later Canon DSLRs (started with the 10D).

Performance wise, all lens manufacturers (except Leica.. I'm joking) have good and bad lenses. You have to do research on each lens individually. I have an old slower AF Tamron 35-105 f2.8 Asph that performs wonderfully as well as a Tokino 19-35mm cheapy lens that produces amazingly nice photos (for the price)... some call it the "plastic wonder".

Interesting how people always forget "Tokina" when they think third party lenses. Tokina does have some good (relatively inexpensive) options for various lenses. The company was started by a bunch of Nikon engineers, which is strange since I don't see much Tokina talk among Nikonians, and their glass is manufactured by Hoya (one of the largest manufacturers of high quality optical glass). I do believe Tokina also partnered up with Pentax and is the core designer of some of Pentax AF lenses too...

A while back, I answered an ad on the NJ craigslist concerning the sale of a Canon DSLR. The fellow lived and worked at a studio in Montclair. It ended up to be the studio of a pretty well known photojournalist who was published in several magazines including National Geographic. I had no idea until I showed up at the address with cash in hand. This professional freelance photographer shot exclusively with Canon bodies and Sigma lenses. I never really took Sigma seriously (for some unknown reason) but the next time I'm in the market for a new lens, I will definitely take a look. If he can depend on Sigma for his living, I figure this amateur can at least look into Sigma options in the future.

8. juju

juju TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    cool thanks for that, think ill take my body down the shop and try some out

9. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you need to save money Sigma, and Tamron are perfectly acceptable lenses but you are better off buying the branded glass.

10. Joxby

Joxby TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

I see what you did there, criptic typo, aaaahhh *taps nose & crosses Tamron off list*

11. TexasDigital

TexasDigital TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

12. i2onnel

i2onnel TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit