lense question on Rebel XTI

bisdakr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
just got my xti and starting to shoot everything already, I found that my lense that came with the kit 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 is very restricting especially indoor shots. I want to purchase 2more lenses for to meet all my needs and in need of some advice. My next purchse will be 50mm f1.8lense and I need a third lense for some portraits or upclose pictures what do you guys suggest? sigma 55-200m f4-5.6 is $139 at adorama. Are these 3 lense ok for just about anything? or am I missing something?

I'd use the 50 prime for portraits. And as far as the sigma, i dont' know. I'd just assume buy canon lenses.

My three favored portrait lenses are a 50mm f1.4, 85mm f1.8 and my 100mm f2.8 macro.(It's still a prime) Primes are always sharper than telephotos. I must admit however I am developing a bit of interest in the 100mm f2.0 soft focus lens.

thanks for the reply, what do you usually use the 100mmf1.8 for? the 100mm2.8 sounds good. well let me say this which lenses do I need(I already have stock 18-55mm f3.5-5.6) to start of with my photography, initially I want to take pictures of everything from close up portraits to cars to landscape, weddings, nature, and then make it a bussiness later on. at the moment my budget is $1000. could I get a pair or maybe 3 good lenses at this budget?

I love the 100m f2.8 as a nice telephoto prime that I can use for close head shots as well as Macro Photography. Yes the macro bug has bitten me bad. With the money you have you could pick up two of the three mentioned, Or even all three. Check out the lenses at the links below

50mm f1.8 (niftyfifty and a great little lens for beginners and anyone to just have around)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...142&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

50 mm f1.4 (my choice. Better build, better bokeh)
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...140&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

85mm f1.8
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...182&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

100mm f2.8 macro
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...451&is=USA&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

I also need to make a correction. The soft focus lens I mentioned it a 135mm not 100mm. I am debating the 135mm f2.0L and the 135mm f2.8 soft focus.

I use all three lenses for portraits the 50mm is a nice 3/4 body lens. the 85 is a nice 1/2 - head and sholders lens and the 100mm is a nice head shot lens. All of these lenses can be used for almost any type of photography you choose. When I started in photography, zoom lenses were not as good as the cheapest kit lens, and very expensive. Primes were all that I had, so I am a bit old school.

I would suggest however that before you go out an buy alot of primes, get one, the nifity fifty would be the cheapest, and use it a bit. I love primes and use them often but if you are new to primes you have to get used to them as your telephoto action is the soles of your shoes.

Any of those lenses mentioned are pretty good. As mentioned, Prime lenses (non-zoom) are almost always sharper than zoom lenses...and much less expensive (for the quality).

The Sigma lens you mentioned...would be limiting in the same way that your kit lens is. The maximum aperture is just not big enough.

and then make it a bussiness later on.
If that is your goal...it may well be worth your while to get the best lenses you can afford, now...rather than getting something that will need to be replaced later on. If you are looking a zoom lenses...then I'd suggest something with a constant maximum aperture of F2.8. The best lenses for you, are the Canon L lenses...but they are very expensive. Sigma and Tamron have F2.8 zoom lenses for much less money. The quality may not be as high as the L lenses...but still pretty good.

I would suggest however that before you go out an buy a lot of primes, get one, the nifity fifty would be the cheapest, and use it a bit. I love primes and use them often but if you are new to primes you have to get used to them as your telephoto action is the soles of your shoes.
That is good advice. Use your kit lens and this cheap prime for a while...then you will have a better idea of what lens should be your next purchase.

cool thanks guys, I use to have a sony dsc f717 and upgraded to the xti. I'm gona go ahead and purchase the 1.8 for now just as you guys suggested to get the feel and practice. macro means close up right? really close? I've been trying to do this and to find out that my lense wont focus that close. so the 100mm 2.8 will be able to do macros?

so the 100mm 2.8 will be able to do macros?
Yes. The name/designation of the lens is EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM...it is a real 'macro' lens...which can focus very close and get magnification up to 1:1.

man i'm so pumped,I wish we had a store here that carried things like these. all we have is best buy and circuit city. All my life i've been into art, mainly drawing and painting but never thought it would take me here. thanks for all the help guys. i've been getting crazy with the pictures i'll post them up once their uploaded.

I'll use this topic for also my question since it's related.
I'm going to buy the Rebel XTi, but I'm thinking of buying only the body and the another lense, since I it seems to me that the one with the kit is quite limited (and as bisdakr has said).
But I'm not sure which one actually to buy, or do you think it's best to buy another one? I love taking portraits and macros, but I guess I would need a general use one too. What would you recommend me?

I'll use this topic for also my question since it's related.
I'm going to buy the Rebel XTi, but I'm thinking of buying only the body and the another lense, since I it seems to me that the one with the kit is quite limited (and as bisdakr has said).
But I'm not sure which one actually to buy, or do you think it's best to buy another one? I love taking portraits and macros, but I guess I would need a general use one too. What would you recommend me?

You are correct, most kit lenses are not great lenses. Any recomendation needs to be based on what kind of photographs you want to take. Currently my kit contains a Canon 10-22mm f.28, Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, Canon 50mm f1.4, Canon 85mm f.18, Canon 100mm f2.8 macro and a Canon 70-200mm f4L lens in my kit. My next lenses will probably be a 35mm prime, 135mm prime and the 400mm f2.8.

My 10-22 is an ultra wide. The three primes are all for portraits. the 17-50 is my "walk around" lens. The 70-200 is my sports lens. Those are the general uses for each one, however they can be used for various types of photography.

A good prime like the 50mm and the 100mm macro would probably be good choices. A nice walk around would also be good to start with. To keep costs down, look at the Canon 50mm f1.8. The nifty fifty is around $70.00 and is a great little lens for the price. Later on if you want to move up to say the 1.4 you will be used to the focal length and will be an easy switch.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back