lense question

simongamble

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello there, I am looking at getting a new camera i have decided which one i want (Canon Eos 30)but i am unsure what to do about lenses, i either want to get the canon 28-90mm usm and the canon 75-300mm usm lense or i have seen a 28-300 sigma lense. the camera will be following e around the world for a year and i like the idea of just having the one lense? what do you think are the canon lenses better than the Sigma? i have an old sigma 70-210 manual focus which has been good over the years but i dont know much about the autofocus stuff.

I have the camera (Elan 7E in the states) with a 28-90 and 75-300mm and love it. I also use a 50mm f1.8. I can't speak for the 28-300 lens however. I looked at the online reviews of it and there seems to be no middle ground. People either love or they hate it.

Steve

Well it seems to be that if your traveling with your camera, then you need to figure out how convienent you need your equiptement to be. If your going to be taking artistic slower pictures, then separate lenses are the way to go, They will probably give you a lilttle better results. However, if you are doing alot of hiking or your taking quick shots when you can get them, the convienence of one lense is really hard to beat. A 28-300 lense isn't going to be the best lense on the market, but i don't think your looking for the best you can get with your other choices.
The biggest selling point i think for you is the convenience of not fiddling with lenses while you are trying to get the shot. With one lense you are less likely to lose it, or the front and back caps that are nessesary to protect the lenses when not in use. (We all have fiddled with a lense and accidently left a lense cap somewhere). For a long trip, if your dragging your camera around the world, i think you should consider the 28-300mm lense. It wiould probably be the best choice for you.

If you are considering another lense though, i would suggest a 50 mm prime lense. For a Cannon i believe they can be had for under a hundred bucks. It doesn't have zoom but it is the lense that most accuratley see's what the human eye see's in terms of distance and vision. This would be the lense that most professionals use the most to make sure what they are seeing, is actually what the camera see's. Plus its a nice fast lense. If you can be good with a 50mm lense, then you can be good with any lense.

The Sigma 28-300 is a great lens. In fact, the competitor to this lens is beautiful as well....the Tamron 28-300.

I recommend either one....in fact, I wish I had one. If you were to start with 2 lenses and then switch to the Tamron/Sigma, you'll then find how convenient it is to have that whole range in one lens.

Most reactions

Back