Lense size question

Max74

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello, I have a Nikon D3200 with the kit lense of: Nikon DX AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6G. It also says 52mm on the inside of the lense cap.

I want to buy a ND variable lense filter and I am seeing many different sizes for sale online.

What size do I buy to fit my lense? Also any advice on which brands to buy? I went to a local camera shop and they sold a variable filter for 109 dollars. I've seen some on Amazon for 12. I know you get what you pay for but wanted to get other's opinions. Thanks

52mm. The lens thread size is what you are reading. It's also printed on the lens, probably above the serial number - it will look like Φ 52.

Yes, you generally get what you pay for. Try to stay with the main brands - B&W, Hoya, Tiffen.

Also would you recommend a variable filter or a set of fixed single filters?

Thanks for the link. I'll get the fixed.

Even when it's a fixed, solid ND filter, there still is great variation between filters, at least once you get to the higher densities, like 1.8 (also called ND64; blocks out 6 stops of light) and up. At those densities, it's getting more and more difficult to create a filter that's actually neutral - light is then blocked unevenly, and the filter may cast a disturbing color that's sometimes hard to clean up in processing.

I've had very bad experience with a ~$40 Tiffen ND 3.0 (10 stops). It leaves a terrible magenta cast that, more often than not, is impossible to get rid of. You'll have to spend at least twice as much to get good quality at such a high density, but you should still expect some color cast. With the high-end Lee Big Stopper, I heard that there certainly is a blue color cast, but it only takes a white balance change to get true colors.

Most reactions

Back