Lenses for a Canon

stephen.magnuson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As of now, I have a Canon Rebel XSi. I am soon to upgrade to the Canon 50D. I am just going to buy the body and add two or three new lenses. My first priority is a lens that I can use with everything. My second is a good wide angle. Finally my third is a fisheye. I have looked around at a lot of sigma lenses because thats what a professional acquaintance recommended, only I do not know which model. If you could help me out it would be much appreciated.

Facebook Search:
John Mausteller Photography

1. There is no such lens. - A good sharp walk around lens is the 24-105 f4L IS (my most used)
2. EF-S 10-22 f3.5-4.5
3. Not sure you get a good fisheye with a crop sensor camera. But someone else may be able to correct me. The effective change in focal length (I know the FL hasn't changed) seems to take away part of the effect.

I will suggest 50D + 24-70 F2.8L , you will love this lens.

Flickr Search Engine : Flickr original size search engine.

Kind of long on the short end. The 17-55 f/2.8 IS would be a bit better imo. I've had problems shooting with the 24-70 on a crop camera and in tight spaces.

Canon 10-22 or Sigma 10-20 will probably be the consensus on UWA lenses.

I think Sigma makes a 10mm FE. Canon makes the 15mm f/2.8 fish, but 15mm is a bit too long for a fish eye when using a crop camera. You tend to lose most of the fish eye effect. Tokina makes a FE zoom lens. There's also full manual FE's that are cheaper.

Kind of long on the short end. The 17-55 f/2.8 IS would be a bit better imo. I've had problems shooting with the 24-70 on a crop camera and in tight spaces.

I have the same long on short end issue with my Tamron 28-75. However, carrying a Canon 10-22 quickly solves that issue.

So if the OP plans on getting a good wide angle, I would take that into consideration when purchasing the standard zoom. I would find that the 17-55 would be too short on the long end for general walking around, street shooting.

Although what one considers general walking around shooting may not be what someone else considers. For all I know (and based on what the OP said) general use could be shooting their dog, kids, landscapes, flowers...who knows.

So yeah... Canon 10-22mm or Sigma 10-20mm for a wide angle.
Add to that a Canon 24-70mm or a Tamron 28-75mm for a standard zoom
Then look into the fisheyes, telephotos and macros

I second the EF-S 10-22 and 17-55 f2.8. I have both of these lenses and they perform wonderfully. The image quality of the 17-55 is top notch and a lot better than my old 17-85. Both are built very solid for non-L lenses.

I will suggest 50D + 24-70 F2.8L , you will love this lens.

Flickr Search Engine : Flickr original size search engine.

I think Sigma makes a 10mm FE. Canon makes the 15mm f/2.8 fish, but 15mm is a bit too long for a fish eye when using a crop camera. You tend to lose most of the fish eye effect. Tokina makes a FE zoom lens. There's also full manual FE's that are cheaper.
+1

If you want to do a lot of wide angle and fisheye shooting, look into getting a full frame body.

Here's a shot I took with a 15mm Canon fisheye lens on a 5D2 full frame body:

585942808_nxSYy-L.jpg

I cropped this shot to give an approximation of what the same shot would have looked like if taken with a camera such as the 50D (1.6x body).

703341204_n9BAe-L.jpg

As you can see, the effect is pretty seriously diminished.

Yep, I would seriously give thought to picking up a used 5D (original) if you do not need the bells and whistles or the frame rate of the 50D. With full frame, you can easily get wide/ultra wide, fisheye lens, and lenses such as the 24-105 that make for a great "walk around" lens for when you want to carry no other lenses.

Most reactions

Back