Lenses for Canon AE-1

madambaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've got a question about lenses. Actually, the question is more about where to buy the lenses. I apologize if this has been covered countless times, but here goes: I have a Canon AE-1 Program I'd like to buy some lenses for and was wondering if I can only buy the FD lenses (I think that's what they're called). And if so, where is the best place to get them? ebay?

If there's another thread that covers this, don't hesitate to direct me to it.
Thanks!

yes... FD lenses is what you will need. There's many on ebay if you are comfortable dealing on ebay. Adorama and B and H photo both also have a selection of FD lenses for the AE-1.

I don't have many FD lenses but I do like my 35-105 f3.5 zoom.

Yup, FD lenses.

I wish I had an AE-1...becuase FD lenses are cheap and plentiful. Should be easy to find.

I was looking on www.cameta.com and saw some pretty cheap FD lenses. One that caught my interest was the Soligor 80mm-200mm f4.5 One-Touch Macro (1:4). It's $19 and says it is in better than average condition. Is 80-200mm a good focal length for taking close ups of flowers, insects, etc.?

madambaster said:
I was looking on www.cameta.com and saw some pretty cheap FD lenses. One that caught my interest was the Soligor 80mm-200mm f4.5 One-Touch Macro (1:4). It's $19 and says it is in better than average condition. Is 80-200mm a good focal length for taking close ups of flowers, insects, etc.?

The focal length is fine but the quality of this particular lens is not very good. Personally I would try to stick with the Canon brand of lenses and then look at a better secondary brand like Sigma, Vivitar or possibly Tamron.

Remember, you get what you pay for. If you go real cheap you won't get good quality and your pictures will suffer. To my mind's eye the most important part of your equipment is the glass you put on the camera body. I would sooner get a cheaper body if it meant I could get better glass.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I agree,

Canon FD lenses should be cheap enough that you don't have to stoop to crappy brands. How will you know if it's a crappy brand....ask someone of course...but I'm guessing that if it costs $19...it's going to be crappy.

Most reactions

Back