Lenses for D40x

bikersam717

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I've been looking for a new lens for my D40x, and I've been told only the Af-s type Nikkor lenses will fit. Is there a certain type of Sigma, Tamron, etc brands that only work with my D40x? If so what are the abbreviations for those brands?

Edit: I was talking to my dad asking if he had a camera ever, and he said he had 'an old nikon fe 35mm camera', but it got stolen out of his suitcase a while back(when it was still new). He says he still has all the lenses in a box, under our house. Is it worth it to go digging for them, would they fit at all?? I imagine if they do, it'd be manual focus only.

ok, well i will go ahead and post since no one else has yet..

More lenses than the af-s will fit. The only reason there is a compatability issue at all, is that non af-"s" wont autofocus. Autofocus is the only thing you will lose on a non "s" lens.
I'm sure there are a few oddball acceptions to that rule..
at least this is how i've come to generally understand it.

ok, well i will go ahead and post since no one else has yet..

More lenses than the af-s will fit. The only reason there is a compatability issue at all, is that non af-"s" wont autofocus. Autofocus is the only thing you will lose on a non "s" lens.
I'm sure there are a few oddball acceptions to that rule..
at least this is how i've come to generally understand it.
Well that's good to know, 'cause I was planning on getting a macro lens sometime. But auto focus is pretty important since I shoot a lot of motocross, so if any one can give me the lens types buy other brands that will auto focus with my d40x, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

for sigma it will be "HSM" lenses, that is the name the give their autofocus motor.
I just got their 10-20 HSM its great so far

Most reactions

New Topics

Back