Lenses for Hasselblad 501

Discussion in 'Medium Format & Large Format' started by wishbone_17, Mar 14, 2007.

1. wishbone_17

wishbone_17 TPF Noob!

I have a Hasselblad 501 6x6 camera. I own 3 film backs and a 50mm lens. I am looking to purchase another lens and wanted some feedback on what everyone reccommends. I am primarily a fine art/photojournalism photographer, with the occasional dip into album cover art and promotional photography for musicians. I hope this is enough info for you. If not, let me know and we will fix that. Thanks.

2. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    You might want to have a 150mm in your arsenal, great performer when it comes to portraits. The 50mm is a WA and it can distort when used for portraits.

Outside of the 50mm Distagon lens I have the 80mm, the 150mm and the 250mm. I find I use the most the 80mm and the 50mm.

3. wishbone_17

wishbone_17 TPF Noob!

What websites do you suggest I look at to find a good 150mm lens? I see some on B&H but I want to be able to compare prices.

4. Jeff Jarboe

Jeff Jarboe TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    hardly use my Hasselblad and when I do it mostly for landscape, have both the 50mm and 80mm lenses but mostly use the 50mm

try ebay, keh and b&h

5. Mitica100

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Jeff is right. Try E-bay and do a search on the 150mm lenses (past sales) to see the prices. I was able to snag one (black) for just under $300 but they're usually more than that. Expect a good $400-500 on Ebay for a good 150mm lens.

6. Riggaberto

Riggaberto TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I dont own a hasselblad but I was pricing what a body and a couple of lenses would cost. Nearly all of the lenses for sale on keh were in the thousands. Is something 400-500 bucks much lower quality, because that wouldnt be too bad. Thousands is just not affordable for me, great optics or not.

7. Mitica100

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Keh and other fine used camera equipment sell their line of used bodies and lenses at a higher price than Ebay. There are advantages to that, such as some warranties (limited time), ability to return, guarantee that what they sell is in the shape they say it is. If one is willing to take a risk, then Ebay might be the best bet.