Lenses for smartphones? Camera worth buying over my smartphone?

ubernewb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've tried posting this a few other places. My question basically is why aren't the smartphone makers supporting bigger lenses (as attachments)?
I've found this site DcKina.com on it there's a lot of nice looking smartphone lenses. Now I've read the S4 won't work as well with this as other smartphone cameras ( I have an S4) . I did order some lenses and they work acceptably well. At least some of them. I've ordered a set from Amazon and one lens from the website above.

But, take note that on this website you'll find some phones have adapters that will allow us to use our good lenses. I'm not a professional photographer. I'm actually trying to find a way to use my smartphone until I can get around to a 5D.

From what I've read the lenses are the biggest reasons DSLR are even all that far ahead of smartphones. Now obviously there's the aperture and controls to consider. But, if smartphone makers supported additional camera attachments I cannot imagine we'd not be able to get some very exceptional pictures. Maybe even with these adapters. I've not yet purchased one. But, if anyone would like to do a test run I've seen 37mm adapters for a few phones. These adapters are about $5.

Now apart from this. I'm looking into a camera. I'd love to get the 5D there's a kit on Amazon with it for about $600. But, I'm curious what else would be suggested that might be cheaper? I'm a beginner when it comes to working with cameras. But, I know a few photographers and pay attention to many of the details.

There are a number of advantages a DSLR has over phone and p&s cameras: better depth of field (from a larger sensor) and much less shutter lag are two of them.

That said, if you are just starting out, you can go with a lesser body or a nice used body. I bought my digital body new, and my film body was purchased used. I have seven lenses - only two were purchased new. I use Nikon so I have no feel for what Canon bodies to look at.

Last edited:
There are a number of advantages a DSLR has over phone and p&s cameras: better depth of field (from a larger sensor) and much less shutter lag are two of them.

That said, if you are just starting out, you can go with a lesser body or a nice used body. I bought my digital body new, and my film body was purchased used. I have seven lenses - only two were purchased new. I use Nikon so I have no feel for what Canon bodies to look at.

I've looked at a few cameras and the price difference between the kits isn't that big of a deal. I might as well shoot for the 5D. Seems to be considered the best all around camera. The kit comes with basic lenses and I'm sure it'll be a while until I need anything beyond that. Will take time to really learn all the features.

But, like I said. I am very curious about these smartphone lenses from that website and similar. If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear it.

Yeah... The lens attachments are cool... like if you wanna have something to carry around in your pocket with your smartphone for those in-between times, but I'll be damned if anything REPLACES my actual camera for the photos I want to be intentional about creating. :lol:

Cause it's dumb?

ubernewb; Hi, and welcome!

Most people who like taking pictures with their phone will not purchase extra attachments, even if they might be able to make somewhat better pictures. So the extra lens attachment market is probably going to remain a very small niche. That in turn holds little incentive for design development in that area. Yes, they are selling some lenses, but certainly not to every phone user.

In addition to the lenses, larger cameras also have larger sensors which at this point in time are superior to the tiny sensors in cell phones.

Large sensors don't offer 'better' DOF. They offer shallower DOF, which is better for some subjects but worse for others.

But, like I said. I am very curious about these smartphone lenses from that website and similar. If anyone has any experience I'd love to hear it.[/QUOTE]

I have tried a number of add on lens' for both my Iphone and Samsung s3 and been very impresses with what can be achieved with them. Even the ones for only a few quid give some good results, however the best quality I have found so far is the olloclip and these are a couple of shots taken with the macro and wide angle.

I think its going to be interesting to see how we all use our smartphones over the next few years as personally I think the camera side of things will improve greatly. If this does happen then there will be more of these accessories being added to the market place.

Attachments

• $image-1691064253.jpg
    $image-1691064253.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 243
  • $image-3013043069.jpg
    $image-3013043069.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 249
  • $image-1386263522.jpg
    $image-1386263522.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 238
I have tried a number of add on lens' for both my Iphone and Samsung s3 and been very impresses with what can be achieved with them. Even the ones for only a few quid give some good results, however the best quality I have found so far is the olloclip and these are a couple of shots taken with the macro and wide angle.

I think its going to be interesting to see how we all use our smartphones over the next few years as personally I think the camera side of things will improve greatly. If this does happen then there will be more of these accessories being added to the market place.

The only reason I'd want an iPhone right now is for it's camera. It not only has a better variety of these types of things being it's camera placed at a corner. But, it also has better support for these lenses. The S4 I read somewhere has an issue due to something being 33mm. I assume it has to do with the distance of minimum focus? or maybe it's just the size of the camera on the phone?
I cannot remember specifically.
What brand did you test out for the SIII?
I'm really curious if this Dckina will be worth while. I mean it has a HUGE selection. Including kits for many different phones. While on amazon I see a few kits here and there for phones (honest pain even finding these on amazon). Many have great reviews. But, only about a 100 or so reviews. I've not seen any kind of review for this specific website's product. Many of them are cheap. I may buy from them. But, I'd like some idea of their quality.

I have to ask your thoughts also. For taking photos of a food for an advertisement would it be ideal to use a good macro on it's own or a macro+wide?

This looks cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I'd want an iPhone right now is for it's camera. It not only has a better variety of these types of things being it's camera placed at a corner. But, it also has better support for these lenses. The S4 I read somewhere has an issue due to something being 33mm. I assume it has to do with the distance of minimum focus? or maybe it's just the size of the camera on the phone? I cannot remember specifically. What brand did you test out for the SIII? I'm really curious if this Dckina will be worth while. I mean it has a HUGE selection. Including kits for many different phones. While on amazon I see a few kits here and there for phones (honest pain even finding these on amazon). Many have great reviews. But, only about a 100 or so reviews. I've not seen any kind of review for this specific website's product. Many of them are cheap. I may buy from them. But, I'd like some idea of their quality. I have to ask your thoughts also. For taking photos of a food for an advertisement would it be ideal to use a good macro on it's own or a macro+wide? This looks cool! YouTube Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy8wAUpNDEU

The lens' I have tried on my samsung were unbranded 4 in 1 purchased from ebay like these. They seem pretty good and I will try a few shots later and post for you to see.

Not too sure if you would get good enough results for food photography if you are doing for a customer, may be that they would be ok for website but possibly wouldn't be ok for printed material.

Attachments

• $image-842546365.jpg
    $image-842546365.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 240
These are a few shots taken using the 4 in 1 lens on the Samsung S3

Attachments

• $image-996548028.jpg
    $image-996548028.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 234
  • $image-875993170.jpg
    $image-875993170.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 241