lenses i can use with my new d40

chemhaznet1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i'd like to buy some new lenses i can buy for my d40, but i don't know which ones will fit. i'm not concerned about the whole autofocus ability to be honest, i'd actually really like to use a fully manual lens to work with. would i be better off just using the kit lens that came with the camera or is it wise to invest in another. i'd like to spend under 200 if possible, the one i have now is the 18-55 that came with it. thanks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...lSearch=yes&O=RootPage.jsp&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t

This puppy is a nice choice but it's about 50 bucks over your budget. I think you would find its' use rather pleasing:blushing:

Now when the big boys arrive and ask what type of photography you'd like to do they'll help narrow your search. Be warned though, if you don't have a tripod they'll let you know that it's time to get one:thumbup:

have a good one
3Eo

haha actually i've been looking at this one for a while. i'd mainly be doing landscape photography and portraits. eventually i intend to get into macro photography. thanks for your reply, that was fast :)

Well for macro you can just get extension tubes to decrease the focusing length on a normal lens

ahh good idea, i haven't even thought about using extension tubes yet! :thumbup:

How do you like your D40 so far........ You think that would work for my which she would in the begining only shooting ruins in mexico and family photos and vacation pics..... I was thinking D40x or D80....but maybe all she needs is the D40

i wish i would have saved more money to get the d80, but the d40x would have been pretty nice too. i do love my d40 though, its a lot of fun. i can't wait to get a d80 or d200 later.

d200 later.

This is why I am leaning towards keeping my D40x. I'm thinking that when my photographic prowess is ready I will just skip the D80 and go for the motherload D200. The only major drawback w/the D40/D40x is the AF-S lens requirements, besides that I find it to be a fine camera.

have a good one
3Eo

The D200 is ALOT of camera and twice the price of the D80 and is NOT the King Of The Hill as far as Nikons cameras are concerned - that would be the D2Xs - which will run you somewhere north of 4G's.

I would - if you can get ahold of B&Hphotos product bible - take a look at the comparison between the models - you'll no doubt find the D80 is the sweet spot consumer, dedicated photographer - and the D200 takes a step into the "low end" professional area, occupied with the D2Xs and the D2H (sports camera).

Do not overlook the D80 (and 1000 dollars worth of lenses) when you're ready to upgrade.

thanks ANDS! that helps me make up my mind a little bit more. thank the lord i have a bunch of time to make up my mind. i don't expect to have 1500 dollars to spend anytime soon.:wink:

The D200 is ALOT of camera and twice the price of the D80 and is NOT the King Of The Hill as far as Nikons cameras are concerned - that would be the D2Xs - which will run you somewhere north of 4G's.

If the rumors can be believed, the king will soon be dead... bring on the D3's!

the king will soon be dead... bring on the D3's!

Probably death from a megapixel overdose:gun::king:!

have a good one
3Eo

Most reactions

New Topics

Back