Lenses...seriously..

aammoore

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I am buying a 30D probably middle of next month. I want the 5D because of the better sensor but not sure if I can afford it.

First question...Where can I find GREAT deals on these cameras?

Second...I need two basic lenses.

I want the 50mm 1.8 just because it's crazy cheap and a great piece of plastic.

My main work is people, I photograph engagements, portraits, weddings, birthdays and seniors, proms, cheerleaders etc....all trying to capture people in their natural settings. I am on a medium budget and wanted to know if the off brand lenses are good enough.....for someone starting out, or should I just go for one lense and get a canon? I have been shooting these pictures with a Kodak Easy Share...for about 2 years (I know crazy) but everyone loved the shots, so I know that if I upgrade to this it can only get better.
I don't want to hear that I should know what I want the lense for and why...I do know that...I'm just looking for the best two or three lenses out there for my type of work! Thank you in advance!!

Welcome to the forum.

30D is a great camera, I've got a 20D and it's been a great camera for me. I also wish I could afford a 5D...but the price difference is still too big for me.

First question...Where can I find GREAT deals on these cameras?
I suggest using the links at the top of the page and going to B&H or Adorama. They are the two of the biggest camera retailers and have great prices. If you search the internet, you will find lower prices but buyer beware. If you do look elsewhere...check www.resellerratings.com

I want the 50mm 1.8 just because it's crazy cheap and a great piece of plastic.
:thumbsup:

For another lens...I suggest a zoom in the 'normal' range because that will be the most versatile for you. 17mm to about 50mm (on this camera)
Starting at the bottom...
The standard kit, EF-S 18-55mm F3.5-5.6. It's cheap (price and construction) but the image quality isn't as bad as some would have you believe.
The next lens up in the Canon line up, EF-S 17-85 F4-5.6 IS. A much better lens and it has IS...but as with the first one, the max aperture is still pretty slow (small).
The best lens in this class is the Canon EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS. The max aperture of F2.8 is top of the line and IS is great. Fantastic image quality as well...however, this lens is as much or more than the camera.

Yes, third party lenses can be great. Two great lenses are the Sigma 18-50 F2.8 and the Tamron 17-50 F2.8 (which I have). They both have great image quality and a fast aperture and are much cheaper than the Canon 17-50 F2.8 IS.

One thing to mention, all of those lenses are meant to only work on cameras like the D30 (digital rebels etc.)...and won't work on the 5D, if you ever plan to upgrade. You could go the route of 'full frame lenses' but that is more expensive on the wide end. EF 17-40 F4 L, EF 16-35 F2.8 L

Buy nice glass to start with and expand when you feel you need more. Mike is bang on with his assessment.
30D will be a great camera. I too have a 20D and the 30D is a minor upgrade from that.

17-55 f2.8 IS is the lens to get if you can afford it. Tamron 17-50 f2.8 is also a great choice.

Many thanks to both of you for the straight forward answers! Looking in to all of those mentioned now, will post what I decide.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back