Lenses/Shooting Auto Racing

Lazarus94

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Earlier this week, I purchased a Minolta XG-A in remarkable shape. (Was $20 a good deal? Who cares! I'm having fun.)
So far, it has been a wonderful camera in terms of mechanics.
I'll be taking it for its first real test on a family trip to Orlando later today, and I am excited.

As a soon to be 21 year old who is just getting slightly serious about film photography (there's just something about only having 24 chances to choose your shot wisely that I enjoy), I was curious as to how this camera could play into one of my hobbies.

One of my biggest passions is motorsport. I shoot amatuer fancam video of portions of every auto race I attend.
However, I would like to get into the photo side of things, almost to multitask like the glutton for punishment that I am.

That said, this XG-A came with a really nice 28mm lens. However, as is obvious, a lens that short is incapable of the type of zoom I would need to get a good shot, from either the grid or the stands.

So my question is, if I were to shop for a lens, what are everybody's recommendations?

And in regards to film, I shot some pro wrestling with 800 speed film on a different camera a few years ago, and still got a bit of blur. Any recommendations on speed, brand of film?

That said, this XG-A came with a really nice 28mm lens. However, as is obvious, a lens that short is incapable of the type of zoom I would need to get a good shot, from either the grid or the stands.

So my question is, if I were to shop for a lens, what are everybody's recommendations?

A good shot of what?

If you mean you want frame-filling shots of race cars in motion with no blur then you'd need the longest and fastest lens you can afford. Exact length depends on your distance from the subject. Sports photographers often use lenses that are at least 300/2.8 and up. Mostly up.

Film speed would depend on the aperture of the lens you're using, lighting conditions and speed of the subject but would likely be in the ISO 400-800 range or more for moving cars.

Last edited:
and still got a bit of blur.
I'm not a film person, so take this with a grain of salt (and pay attention to the others with better knowledge)... You may need to worry more about technique and less about the equipment/film if you're getting blur with ISO800. Try a faster shutter and wider aperture, if you can.

For moving cars, you're going to have to work on your panning technique. From what I hear, practicing panning technique can get expensive on film cameras.

Most reactions

Back