Lenses

arsondesign

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So my parents have an old film rebel (Rebel 2000 EOS) and a couple lenses with it. I JUST got a Canon 20D and have the Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens. I was wondering if I could use the lenses on the Rebel on my 20D? Sorry if this is a ridiculous question... I came home for the weekend WITHOUT my camera and considered taking the lenses since they aren't used much anymore I didn't want to attempt to put them on if they didn't fit and mess anything up with my 20D.

The two lenses are....
a Canon 20-80mm 1:3.5-5.6 II
and a Canon 75-300mm 1:4-5.6 III

Also, I'm very new to photography and was wondering what these two lenses are best for as far as lighting and type of action being photographed and the quality of the image they produce...

Thanks!

yep, you can use them.

Lenses have no effect on the composition, the photographer does.

Well I read a review on the 20-80mm that said it was an absolutely awful lens and not worth wasting the time on... Just wondering why and how it was so awful, not so much about the composition of photos as that's purely arbitrary and not so much about lens quality. I shoot and will be shooting mostly high action in low light situations and the review said it performs poorly in non-daylight situations. It was a short review with a lot of questionable statements... so I didn't know if it held any truth to it.

both are relatively cheap and aren't going to wow you with their performance. Neither will perform well in low light. In the sun however, you shoudl be able to get some decent shots with them.
I'm assuming you understand aperture, so you shoudl realize that a small aperture on both those lenses means a slow shutter speed....means stuff better stay still and you should probably have a tripod unless there's lots of light.

both are relatively cheap and aren't going to wow you with their performance. Neither will perform well in low light. In the sun however, you should be able to get some decent shots with them.
I'm assuming you understand aperture, so you shoudl realize that a small aperture on both those lenses means a slow shutter speed....means stuff better stay still and you should probably have a tripod unless there's lots of light.

Thanks, just what I needed.. I think I'm going to sell these two and invest in something better, a 50mm EF F/1.4 possibly although I'm not quite sure how much different that will be from my F/1.8. Amazon reviews said there isn't much difference and a few reviews I read elsewhere said there was a significance in image quality (as well as build quality). Unfortunately my subjects and shooting environment eliminate my ability to use a tripod. Found a 50mm F/1.2L used for a decent price so I might check into that as well... I just don't know how much of an improvement it will provide over the F/1.4... plus I don't feel like I'm confident enough to need an L series lens. Any suggestions?

I would think you could use your 1.8 lens for low light shooting, where you can't use a tripod? Sounds like you need something like a 20-80mm though. You can either sell it and get something like a 17-85 (which is what I have :)) or you can keep the cheaper lens...It all depends on how important it is to you having a better lens I guess. (This is assuming you want a general, all around shooting lens)

where you can't use a tripod?

I shoot a lot of band promotionals and a lot of concert photography for my design work. I'm a designer, not much of a photographer, but I have little access to photographers around here who can get the shot I'm looking for (more artistic [edgy, if you will], most around here are portrait)... and most have other jobs so they don't have the time (or much desire) to shoot photos of guys running around on stage and getting attacked by screaming kids simply for a press kit. I do love photography and have always had the desire to improve upon my less-than-basic skills... and I'm finally starting.

So the concerts with the rambunctious kids and constantly moving band members is where I find it nearly impossible to use a tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back