Lenses

jvw2941

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am interested in learning more about lenses and all the different kinds. Are there names for each one, is one brand better than the other. A few that I've heard of and can think of off the top of my head are Macro, Wide-Angle, Telephoto, and Fisheye lenses. What is the difference between these?? Gahh it seems there is just so much to know. I just want to be more educated on lenses and if anyone can help with the specifics, pros and cons, etc. that would tremendously appreciated. Thanks!

Macro: used for close ups, like of insects, flowers, etc. They zoom in well and maintain a high depth of field (keep the background blurred) Juza Nature Photography

Telephoto: used for sports, etc. when a long focal length (therefore higher magnification) is needed.

Wide-Angle: used for landscapes, interior shots, etc. Shorter focal length means wider shots, more depth of focus 10-20mm.com

Fish-eye: an extreme wide-angle that can get up to 180 degrees field of view, lots of distortion. The 'Puro' restaurant in Mechelen - Belgium on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Most reactions

Back